Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com> on 2004/03/29 12:47:16 UTC

[VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level

The vote has passed.  We will put forth the proposal below to the Jakarta
PMC to move HttpClient to a Jakarta level project.  The vote details are
below:

+1 votes -
    Adrian Sutton adrian@apache.org
    Oleg Kalnichevski olegk@apache.org
    Michael Becke mbecke@apache.org
    dIon Gillard dion@apache.org

+0 votes -
    Ortwin Glück oglueck@apache.org

Vote thread -
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=commons-httpclient-de
v@jakarta.apache.org&by=thread&from=681919

(0) RATIONALE
HTTP is the main protocol used today on the internet.  Although the JDK
includes basic support for building HTTP-aware client applications, it
doesn't provide the flexibility or ease of use needed for many projects.

The current package in Jakarta-Commons is a widely used implementation with
a strong community behind it.  The size of it's community and it's project
has significantly outgrown the commons project and a move to a Jakarta level
project would provide better support for that community and for the on going
development of HttpClient.

(1) SCOPE
The project shall create and maintain a Java library implementing the client
side of the HTTP 1.0 and 1.1 protocol, as defined in RFC 1945, RFC 2616 and
RFC 2617.

HttpClient also supports the following RFCs.

* RFC 2109 for HTTP state management mechanism (Cookies) - an upgrade to RFC
2965 is planned for a future version of HttpClient

* RFC 2396 Uniform Resoruce Identifiers (URI): Generic Syntax

* RFC 1867 Form-based File Upload in HTML

The package should:

* Have an API which should be as simple to use as possible
* Be as easy to extend as possible
* Provide unconditional support for HTTP/1.1

The package is quite different from the HTTP client provided as part of the
JDK (java.net.HttpURLConnection), as it focuses on the HTTP methods being
sent (instead of making that transparent to the user), and generally allows
more interaction with the lower level connection.  The JDK client is also
not very intuitive to use.

The package is used by a wide range of projects both within the ASF and from
third parties.  These include:

* Jakarta Slide
* Jakarta Commons Latka
* Nortel Networks
* HtmlUnit
* Jakarta Cactus
* JSR 147
* NOSE Applied Intelligence ag
* MindIQ's Design-a-Course
* ContactOffice
* Newknow
* de4d2c
* Furies
* Term Highlighting for Verity Ultraseek search results
* Mule - Universal Message Objects
* many more.

(1.5) Interaction With Other Packages

HttpClient relies on:

* Java Development Kit (Version 1.2 or later; 1.3 or later recommended)
* Jakarta commons-logging (Version 1.0 or later)
* Jakarta commons-codec (Version 1.2 or later)

(2) INITIAL SOURCE OF THE PACKAGE

The initial codebase exists as a sub-project of Jakarta-Commons, in the
httpclient subdirectory of the jakarta-commons cvs tree.

The proposed package name for the new sub-project is org.apache.httpclient.

(3) REQUIRED JAKARTA RESOURCES

* CVS Repository - New module, jakarta-httpclient in the CVS repository.

* Initial Committers - The list is provided below.  All of the proposed
committers are currently jakarta-commons committers.

* Mailing List - Two new mailing lists will be required:
httpclient-dev@jakarta.apache.org and httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org
These will be used for developer discussions and user discussions
respectively.  CVS commit messages will be sent to the httpclient-dev list.

* Bugzilla - New product category "HttpClient", with appropriate version
identifiers as needed.  Existing bugs in the HttpClient component under the
Commons product category will need to be migrated.

(4) INITIAL COMMITTERS
The initial committers on the HttpClient component shall be:

* Michael Becke
* Jeff Dever
* dIon Gillard
* Ortwin Glück
* Oleg Kalnichevski
* Adrian Sutton

Adrian Sutton
Intencha "tomorrow's technology today"
Ph: 38478913 0422236329
Suite 8/29 Oatland Crescent
Holland Park West 4121
Australia QLD
www.intencha.com

Re: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
I believe only Jeff "Jandalf"

Oleg

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 07:14, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> How many of us are on the PMC?
>
> I know I am....
> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
>

> Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu> wrote on 06/04/2004 11:58:43 AM:
>
> > Nope.  I think we just need to submit the proposal to the PMC.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > On Apr 5, 2004, at 6:29 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> >
> > > Folks,
> > > What our next step in this regard is going to be? Is there anything
> > > left
> > > to be done / discussed / agreed upon?
> > >
> > > Oleg

> it

> > > For additional commands, e-mail:
> > > commons-httpclient-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org

> > For additional commands, e-mail: commons-httpclient-dev-
> > help@jakarta.apache.org

Re: [VOTE][PROPOSAL][RESULT] Promote HttpClient to Jakarta Level

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
How many of us are on the PMC?

I know I am....

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Folks,

Posted by Adrian Sutton <ad...@intencha.com>.
On 29/3/04 8:47 PM, "Adrian Sutton" <ad...@intencha.com> wrote:

> The vote has passed.  We will put forth the proposal below to the Jakarta
> PMC to move HttpClient to a Jakarta level project.  The vote details are
> below:

I also want to note that I've received replies from Rodney Waldhoff and
Sung-Gu.  Rodney wants to retain his emeritus committer status but doesn't
currently have time to contribute to HttpClient - I assurred him that he can
return to full active committer status at any stage.

Sung-Gu is keen to rejoin the ranks of active HttpClient committers and
apparently is faxing through his CLA at which point we will likely hear from
him on this list.

Regards,