Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Chuck DeVivo <ct...@hotmail.com> on 2023/07/30 22:05:48 UTC

Just Something for the Wish List

Hello,
There are times that I use spread sheets for something other than ledgers.
A fuel log would be one such application, another would be the value of parallel resistors.  (The formula for that is Rt=1÷(1/R1+1/R2+…1/Rn) for what it’s worth.)  I like to have columns of repeating formulae like that, but that yields divide by 0 errors.  Is it possible to add an option to the effect of “treat divide by blank cells as blank” or something similar?  Using the resistor example, if the desired Rt is a standard value like 1,000, then R2 and up would be omitted.  But leaving them blank results in an error.  Not a huge deal, as that particular line can be altered for the final BOM, but if during testing it is determined to have to be altered, then it may need to be entered again.  And it does trigger a minor OCD reaction…

Again, just something for the wish list.

Thanks,
Chuck DeVivo

Re: Just Something for the Wish List

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 22:05 30/07/2023 +0000, Chuck DeVivo wrote:
>... one such application, another would be the
>value of parallel resistors. (The formula for
>that is Rt=1÷(1/R1+1/R2+…1/Rn) for what it’s
>worth.) I like to have columns of repeating
>formulae like that, but that yields divide by 0
>errors. Is it possible to add an option to the
>effect of “treat divide by blank cells as blank”
>or something similar? Using the resistor
>example, if the desired Rt is a standard value
>like 1,000, then R2 and up would be omitted. But
>leaving them blank results in an error. Not a
>huge deal, as that particular line can be
>altered for the final BOM, but if during testing
>it is determined to have to be altered, then it
>may need to be entered again. And it does trigger a minor OCD reaction…

Try
=1/(IF(A1=0;0;1/A1)+IF(B1=0;0;1/B1)+IF(C1=0;0;1/C1))
Seems to work. Sensibly enough, if the condition
is satisfied, the fateful division is apparently not performed - so no error.

Note that the apparently simpler
... MAX(0;1/A1) ...
does not work, as the division is necessary
before the function result can be evaluated.

>Again, just something for the wish list.

Your wish is my command.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker