Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/19 10:26:16 UTC

[BUILD]: next developer snapshot or an RC?

Hi,

my initial plan was to propose a RC candidate today but we got some
feedback from the IPMC mailing list that we should integrate besides the
last show stopper issue.

Issue:
Bug 118895 - aoo3.4 r1240836: some contextmenu entries are not localized

This issue makes me nervous as long as we don't understand the root
cause because in a local build environment where I have translations for
some of the missing strings, the strings are still missing in a German
office. It's under investigation...

Based on the current situation I would like to propose the following.

No new developer snapshot today. We are working on the feedback and the
show stopper issue.

Hopefully tomorrow we have the feedback integrated and I would like to
propose an English ONLY Release candidate build.

Why?
Simply to work on the process and to achieve that we don't get any
surprises later on. The last real show stopper issue is related to
translations only.

In parallel we will continue to work on our pootle server to drive the
localization efforts forward.

Any opinions on this proposed approach?

Juergen

Re: [BUILD]: next developer snapshot or an RC?

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

On 19.03.2012 10:26, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my initial plan was to propose a RC candidate today but we got some feedback
> from the IPMC mailing list that we should integrate besides the last show
> stopper issue.
>
> Issue:
> Bug 118895 - aoo3.4 r1240836: some contextmenu entries are not localized
>
> This issue makes me nervous as long as we don't understand the root cause
> because in a local build environment where I have translations for some of the
> missing strings, the strings are still missing in a German office. It's under
> investigation...
>

> Based on the current situation I would like to propose the following.
>
> No new developer snapshot today. We are working on the feedback and the show
> stopper issue.
>
> Hopefully tomorrow we have the feedback integrated and I would like to propose
> an English ONLY Release candidate build.
>
> Why?
> Simply to work on the process and to achieve that we don't get any surprises
> later on. The last real show stopper issue is related to translations only.
>
> In parallel we will continue to work on our pootle server to drive the
> localization efforts forward.
>
> Any opinions on this proposed approach?
>
> Juergen

I am getting very enthuastic about the things we have achieved, especially in
the last days. A release is getting into the view.

The current situation from my point of view is
- We have solved all known code related show stoppers - the creation of next
developer snapshots are currently in progress in order to verify the
corresponding fixes.
- The translation process is starting to work - big thanks from my side to the
involved people -, but some things are open here
-- Currently only Raphael has full admin access to the Pootle server as far as I
know. Thus, the integration of further languages respectively updating the
Pootle data with further translations provided by all the volunteers who are
translating, but do not have access, have to go through only one person. I think
this is a bottleneck.
-- No other language than English (US) is complete for a release.
- RAT scan cleanup is open
- update of LICENSE and NOTICE files is open
- preparation of downlad page for source release is open
- clarification of binary download handling is open

It looks like that we can solve everything in the next couple of days except the
translation.

Question:
What is your opinion about a release which only contains language English (US)?

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [BUILD]: next developer snapshot or an RC?

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 03/19/2012 10:26 AM, schrieb Jürgen Schmidt:
> my initial plan was to propose a RC candidate today but we got some
> feedback from the IPMC mailing list that we should integrate besides the
> last show stopper issue.
>
> Issue:
> Bug 118895 - aoo3.4 r1240836: some contextmenu entries are not localized
>
> This issue makes me nervous as long as we don't understand the root
> cause because in a local build environment where I have translations for
> some of the missing strings, the strings are still missing in a German
> office. It's under investigation...
>

> Based on the current situation I would like to propose the following.
>
> No new developer snapshot today. We are working on the feedback and the
> show stopper issue.
>
> Hopefully tomorrow we have the feedback integrated and I would like to
> propose an English ONLY Release candidate build.
>
> Why?
> Simply to work on the process and to achieve that we don't get any
> surprises later on. The last real show stopper issue is related to
> translations only.
>
> In parallel we will continue to work on our pootle server to drive the
> localization efforts forward.
>
> Any opinions on this proposed approach?

When we do en en-US build only, how do we verify that the translation
fix is really working? IMHO another dev build to look especially for
these strings would be good. To ease things do just an en-US full build
and every other language as langpack.

My 2 ct

Marcus