Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/06/26 19:10:08 UTC

new Standard/JSTL subproject? [WAS Re: [Jakarta Wiki] Update of "DraftCharterForWebComponentCommons" by RobertBurrellDonkin]

On Thu, 2005-06-23 at 20:14 -0400, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> >> Jakarta].
> >>
> >> OK, here I am posting :-)
> >>
> >> 3.What about the Standard Taglibs? Should it be part of this new project
> >> or should it be a separate project. The reasoning here is that, because
> >> that sub-project provide the codebase for JSTL's implementation (and
> >> maybe other JSR taglibs in the future as well, such as the Web Services
> >> taglib), its development activities/cycles might be different from the
> >> "non-standard" ones (we could even try to apply the TCK on such projects
> >> in the future, for instance).
> >
> > if the new subproject is anything like the commons then each component
> > will have it's own development rhythm.
> >
> > it might be easier to raise extra hands when needed for these efforts if
> > these share the same infrastructure (mailing lists, subproject
> > organization and so on).
> >
> > opinions?
>
> My vote is for the active Taglibs to roll into the web component
> subproject, but for the Standard/JSTL taglib to move to Jakarta subproject
> status.
>
> Taglibs-user is dominated by JSTL questions and the JSTL committers don't
> have any obvious overlap with the other taglib committers (that I've
> noticed). Also in terms of codebase, Standard is the relative behemoth.
>
> Lastly it has a much higher profile than other parts of
> web-component-subproject will have and as a spec implementation it has a
> different set of issues to deal with.

+1

are there any committers involved with JSTL around?

if not, would anyone like to volunteer to sound them out about a move to
subproject status?

- robert

Re: new Standard/JSTL subproject? [WAS Re: [Jakarta Wiki] Update of "DraftCharterForWebComponentCommons" by RobertBurrellDonkin]

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.

Henri Yandell wrote:
>>are there any committers involved with JSTL around?

Sorry, I raised the question then entered in JavaOne-sleep-mode :(

>>if not, would anyone like to volunteer to sound them out about a move to
>>subproject status?

I vote for Standard being a separate Jakarta sub-project.

> I've mentioned the idea on the taglibs-dev mailing list, no reply as yet.

There hasn't being too many messages by the committers lately, specially
on votes. So, tomorrow (I'm too tired now :-) I will send a big message
summarizing all of these pending votes and hopefully we will get enough
committer answers now...

-- Felipe

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 6/26/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> are there any committers involved with JSTL around?
>
> if not, would anyone like to volunteer to sound them out about a move to
> subproject status?

I've mentioned the idea on the taglibs-dev mailing list, no reply as yet.

Hen