Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Asif Jan <as...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/29 16:24:40 UTC

UDFs in non Java languages

Hi

I read on the wiki that further developments will be carried out allowing users to write their UDFs in other languages. I am specifically interested in being able to use R functions in Pig.

Also, if python (instead of jython) UDFs are implemented then one could benefit from a range of libraries such as NumPy and SciPy.

How could I find further information on the subject.

thanks

Re: UDFs in non Java languages

Posted by Norbert Burger <no...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Asif,
> Pig can only work with JVM-based languages (so, Jython for python and Rhino
> for javascript).
> You can use streaming to process data using R or non-jvm python versions.

Another option might be something like renjin
(http://code.google.com/p/renjin/).  I've not used it though, so
unfortunately I can't vouch for its feature set/capabilities.

Norbert

Re: UDFs in non Java languages

Posted by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com>.
Asif,