Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Jerome Iffrig (Europe)" <Je...@eu.didata.com> on 2007/08/02 17:03:15 UTC

Form elements to update in separate window (eBay style)

Hi,

If any of you use eBay, you would have noticed the way it handles the
update of some fields.

To put it short, you have your user information displayed on the screen.

To modify your profile (e.g. your e-mail address) eBay does not display
a big form with all your information editable, it rather displays a tiny
form with the single editable field, the one to modiy.

Do you have any idea on how this can be implemented with JSF (for info I
use Spring to wrap my services and Hibernate for saving my data in the
DB).  I was imagining some dynamic way in which I could reuse only a
handful of JSPs/actions (one for text field, one for drop-downs) with
dynamic recognition of the object type and some way to glue a validator
in.

Thanks for your ideas.

Re: Form elements to update in separate window (eBay style)

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.
not sure if I fully get it, but does this look appealing (shown with
jboss-seam and facelets code):

@Name("editState") @Scope(ScopeType.CONVERSATION)
public class EditStateBean {
private Map<String, Boolean> editing = new HashSet<String, Boolean>();
public Map<String, Boolean> getEditing() {
  return editState;
}
}

<h:form>

<sandbox:limitRendered>
  <h:panelGroup rendered="#{editState.editing['firstName']}">
    <h:inputText value="#{bean.firstName}" />
    <h:commandButton value="Save">
      <t:updateActionListener property="#{editState.editing['firstName']}"
        value="#{false}" />
    </h:commandButton>
  </h:panelGroup>
  <h:panelGroup>
    <h:outputText value="#{bean.firstName}" />
    <h:commandButton value="Edit">
      <t:updateActionListener property="#{editState.editing['firstName']}"
        value="#{true}" />
    </h:commandButton>
  </h:panelGroup>
</sandbox:limitRendered>

</h:form>

Then you can take this one step further and create a facelets include
or a custom component to make this easier to do it many times. You can
also add in PPR/AJAX support as desired.

Posted by "Jerome Iffrig (Europe)" <Je...@eu.didata.com>.

Posted by Andrew Robinson <an...@gmail.com>.