Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2012/02/26 16:29:21 UTC

Summary of some recent discussions around the OFBiz release roadmap and some proposals

We have recently discussed in a few threads some strategies for the definition of a release roadmap for OFBiz; I am summarizing here the main points (old and new) because there seems to be a general agreement around them and we should be ready to officialize them and then stick to this plan:

* the release roadmap will be time-based rather than feature-based
* every year a new release branch is created on April, generating a new Major Release Number in the format YY.MM (this is *not* a release)
* from each active release branch we will release 2 releases every year (approx every 6 months); the names of the releases will be YY.MM.<aa> where aa is a two digits sequential number (01 is the first release, 02 the second etc..)
* no more than 3 active release branches will be maintained simultaneously; for this reason we will close the oldest release branch every year sometimes before April (when the new one is created)

An outstanding topic is the following:
* do we still want to wait approx 1 year before releasing the first release of a branch?

I don't have a strong preference but maybe a stabilization period of 6 months could be enough... but I don't know. In the plan below I am proposing a stabilization period of 10 months.

As a result of the above rules, we will release approx 5 releases per year considering the following lifecycle of a release branch:
* created in April
* first year: stabilization; no new releases are created
* second year: two releases 01 and 02
* third year: two releases 03 and 04
* fourth year: one release 05 and then the branch is closed

If we name A (oldest), B and C (newest) the three active release branches, then we could stick to the following roadmap:

C: new release on February and August
B: new release on March and September
A: new (last) release on April and then closed (when on April the new branch D is created)

For example:

2015
Jan
Feb		C1 (after mostly 10 months of stabilization)
Mar		B3
Apr		A5 (last); D is created
May
Jun
Jul
Aug		C2
Sep		B4
Oct
Nov
Dec

2016
Jan
Feb		D1
Mar		C3
Apr		B5 (last); E is created
May
Jun
Jul
Aug		D2
Sep		C4
Oct
Nov
Dec

2016
Jan
Feb		E1
Mar		D3
Apr		C5 (last); F is created
May
Jun
Jul
Aug		E2
Sep		D4
Oct
Nov
Dec

etc...

Kind regards

Jacopo

Re: Summary of some recent discussions around the OFBiz release roadmap and some proposals

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
On Apr 7, 2012, at 8:47 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Minor: I have added normally in "a new Major Release Number is normally created every year in April". Just in case we have suddenly
> to change our convention regarding the date (I see no reasons but why not)

Thank you

Jacopo

Re: Questions about demo instances [was Re: Summary of some recent discussions around the OFBiz release roadmap and some proposals]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Thanks Christian,

From: "Christian Geisert" <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

[..]

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>
> This is a reasonable compromise.
>
> My suggestion for the URL regarding the latest stable release:
> http(s)://demo.ofbiz.apache.org
> or:
> http(s)://demo-ofbiz.apache.org

This will not change, it was already difficult to get the names from ASF/infra, sot it will still be trunk, stable and old, with
currently stable=10 and old=9

Christian worked on it this morning and got both stable and old running R10.04 (branch).  They are now running R9.04 (branch). I
guess he crossed an issue, or did not want to have stable running 10 already, Christian?

Running branches allows to run revisions with as less bugs as possible

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I agree.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques,

I believe it is not good to expose potential end users to something that
can be expected to be broken (meaning trunk) as a demo environment, because
of the high rate of development taking place in that environment.

I also believe that Jacopo said that something is in the rules, regulations
and/or guidelines of the ASF about the same issue.

Therefore:
-1 on having trunk as demo
+1 on having latest stable release as demo

Given the fact that the older release branches are just maintenance
releases and that we recommend that new end users should look at the latest
stable release (currently 10.04.02) it would not make sense to do demos of
older branches.

Regards,

Pierre

Op 22 april 2012 10:09 schreef Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.roux@les7arts.com

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

Thanks for the good work.

Minor: I have added normally in "a new Major Release Number is normally created every year in April". Just in case we have suddenly
to change our convention regarding the date (I see no reasons but why not)

For demo mainteners information:
======================
This morning, I have checked and adjusted all the scripts for trunk changes:
automatically used each day: check-svn-update.sh
convenient ones I created for manual tasks : manual.sh, trunk-manual.sh, stable-manual.sh

At some point we were running a buggy version of the JDK and then switched to jdk1.6.0_23 in our startofbiz.sh
files:
    # temporary fix for a bug in Hot-Spot before jdk1.6.0_22(b09)
    JAVA="/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sunjdk/jdk1.6.0_23/bin/java"
I forgot that when I switched to ant start-batch in trunk but fortunately we no longer need to worry since infra provides now by
default /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.26

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
As the Apache policies are not against it, I ask you to re-add the trunk
link to the download page in order not to block the future where
everybody will use the trunk in a continuous testing and continuous
deploying environment avoiding the 'approved releases' upgrade nightmare

Hans

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo, thank you for your compliments,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Pierre Smits" <pi...@gmail.com>
> Hi All,
>
> I think it is very unwise to let endusers use the most disruptive version
> available (the trunk) for evaluation purposes. It should only be available
> for developers or other, more technically experienced persons who want to
> assess the underlying (technical) implementations.
>
> We have both communications in place. At the right places in the site.

+1

> The statement "the trunk is bug free is and all problems are fixed within
> hours" not only misleads the enduser, but it also puts an enormous pressure
> on developers and committers. Plus, it might lead to the ASF being liable
> for not delivering.

Seems most of us are heading in the same direction..

Jacques

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Hi Jacopo,

if that is the case i apologize, we got so far carried away, i lost
track completely, that i went back to the original question.

Regards,
Hans

On 04/08/2012 02:45 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> To summarize: you were accusing me and pointing your finger to my commit even if my commit doesn't have anything to do with what you are reporting here.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Apr 8, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:
>
>> Jacopo, i have a very simple question about a link which always worked:
>>
>> http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/snapshots/ofbiz-trunk-current.zip
>>
>> It was normally shown on this page:
>> http://ci.apache.org/projects/ofbiz/snapshots/
>>
>> now it does not work anymore.....
>>
>> My point is that this link should be reasonable visible somewhere preferably on the download page.
>>
>> enter "ofbiz trunk current zip" in google and you will see it is used pretty frequently (3030 times)
>> (it often also points to http://build.ofbiz.org/builds/ofbiz-trunk-current.zip and other links)
>>
>> If you simply not want do do what i asked for is fine. I now ran out of steam finally. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Hans

>>> What are you talking about? I am shocked about how imprecise but this is blatant is ridiculous: what is the removal you are talking about? I simply added information about the new release schedule.

>>> Hans, are you serious? Or you really don't understand? We have prominent links (2 of them) to the svn from the main page and we have a full page dedicated to svn instructions:
>>> http://ofbiz.apache.org/
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/OFBADMIN/ofbiz-source-repository-and-access.html
>>>
>>> and no one would ever think to remove them: svn is essential information to get new contributions.
>>> The url to projects.apache.org (that *I* helped to have working on the DOAP file) is a good thing to have because it shows a summary of most relevant resources for OFBiz, including svn.

>>> Do you mean the page that was created from a proposal I did a few years ago and that now you are using (undisturbed because of the lack of the community and PMC oversight on this) to add ads of your company and (unclear) links to your sites?
>>> Here is what I would do there:
>>> 1) remove all the references to companies and external sites
>>> 2) keep it as a working document (as we are doing) to prepare official "what's new" pages specific for each release branch

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>
> Jacopo,
>
> You removed the trunk download from the download page which was there from the start without trying to get a consensus. Sure, if
> everybody thinks that is way to go, than that is it. However i think seeing the the history of OFBiz where the trunk was always
> very reliable and where problems were always fixed within hours, the trunk is very usable and people selecting the download page
> should be aware of it.
>
> Actually the official Apache pages list this link on the central site.
> http://projects.apache.org/projects/ofbiz.html
> So it has nothing to do with Apache policies.

Wrong conclusion, this is rendered from our own doap_OFBiz.rdf (in website) so it has nothing to do with an Apache policies. It
still good to have it there. Those pages are not for end users, it's about projects, so fro developpers (no links to releases there)

> So why not on the OFBiz site? I think it should be there taking the amount of changes that are applied to the trunk, showing the
> latest version is following the latest internet developments.
>
> Further what you are going to do with the 'what is new' page? If people want to try it, where should they find the download link?
> And the trunk demo, how do they find the download link here too?

You mean https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Main+New+Features I guess? We could but a link to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Source+Repository+and+Access from this page.

Anyway there is a lot to do regarding documentation, see for instance
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Documentation+Index what about "Apache OFBiz official documentation." (ie
http://localhost:8080/cmssite/cms/APACHE_OFBIZ_HTML), etc.

Jacques

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.
Jacopo,

You removed the trunk download from the download page which was there
from the start without trying to get a consensus. Sure, if everybody

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
This is not consensus, it is a compromise.

What is the purpose of mentioning that we have also a trunk (obvious) and what is the text that you would like to add there?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Hans Bakker" <ma...@antwebsystems.com>

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thank you Hans,

Posted by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Thank you Adrian,

I agree with you and should not have used the word "official" because it is misleading; let's simply say that there is consensus in the dev list to attempt to stick to this plan; of course we will review it over time and change it if required, or maybe simply ignore it if it will not prove to be useful over time.

Jacopo

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.