Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by melu <ml...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/14 10:57:24 UTC

ServiceMix 4 - documentation

Hello,

Sometime ago I used ServiceMix 3.x. In my opinion ServiceMix documentation
never was the best one. But when idea of ServiceMix came I am really
confused - how to use it, _what are best practices_ etc. For example in
ServiceMix the JMS flow also made it possible to create a cluster of ESB
containers over which you could distribute the endpoints used in an
application. In ServiceMix one can accomplish similar results using hard
wired JMS endpoints as part of ones flow. But I far as I understand SM3
allowed users to gain a level of persistence and failure tolerance out of
their applications but SM4 does not have such "transparent clustering
feature" and applications are much more concerned about this.

I've read that some components from SM3 should not be used in SM4, some
should be used in different way, some can be packaged as OSGi bundles but in
some cases this is not needed. I also have read the migration guide on FUSE
pages. But I did not found the guide which one could read and saw that such
thing should be in such a way, that features of SM4 are..., which are new
components and which of them are depreciated, what is architecture of SM4...
Maybe I am such confused because I used to features and how to do's in
ServiceMix 3.x. Now SM4... I would like use it, but... sorry - documentation
is such depreciated, misleading in many places. I thought sometime ago that
because SM was in incubation phase of Apache process documentation and other
things will be of such quality as for example Spring documentation,
Hibernate documentation. Being software architect it is very difficult to
say: choose ServiceMix solution... My personally I don't even sure if SM4
will expand and it will be in heavy development because interest in it never
will be high when people will not know how to use it. I would like to help
making documentation but I can't because I myself don't know how to use SM4
or even if SM4 is already finished or still in development.

Sorry for such my words. I like ServiceMix idea and I would like use it and
propagate it through my friends. So... please tell me from what source I
could know about ServiceMix 4.x as much as one can know. And what to do to
make SM web page, documentation, tutorials to be better, much better.

I was thinking a lot if this is right place to write such words because as I
mentioned earlier it is not difficult to cirtisize. But my goal was to know
where is good documentation about SM4, tutorials, _web page_ etc and to tell
someone what common users think about this things. If someone heard about
ESB and is fascinated about it, I afraid that he/she would not decide to use
ServiceMix because of lack of good documentation there is such a curve to
start use it that he/she will give up.

Re: ServiceMix 4 - documentation

Posted by melu <ml...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I will read this all. I am also looking for more
topics in tutorial and generally more documentation. If there is more
documentation and it is well organized (and maybe available in formats such
as pdf), then product is more popular, appreciated, used. You guys are doing
very good job, but you must show it to the world, show that something
exists. One cannot think that someone else will read all the code and say
"what a beautiful work". The order is different. Someone must be first
interested in product, know general features, usecases etc. and then some
says "what a beatiful work so... I will read the code to get more and more
knowledge". I really appreciate your work so I am interested to show your
work - and you show your work by quality of code, solutions but in first
moment by documentation.

Best regards and a lot of time to write not only code but also
documentation,
all this now and in the future.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,