Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Holger Willebrandt <ho...@web.de> on 2006/07/22 17:36:52 UTC

nntpserver current state of development

Hello everybody,

i just started using James (2.2.0) and have some questions about the
nntpserver:

What is the current state of development ?

I recognized, that messages posted to the server are stored, but seem
not to be returned correctly to clients.
I used Mozilla Thunderbird to post to a group but i never get the
message's contents displayed.
Further i used Java-Code based on GNU JavaMail (which was run
succesfully with INN) to post and retrieve messages and got errors.

I assume that nntp control messages (i.e. the 'newgroup' command) are
not supported, right ?
I think so, because control messages for existing groups are stored in
the server directory (i think, they should not) and control messages
posted to non-existing groups are accepted but don't seem to have any
effects.

I would appreciate any hints on this topic, as i would like to use James
as a 'standalone' (no pulling/pushing from/to other servers) newsserver.
Anyway, i would need control messages to work.

My last (perhaps rather stupid) question is: How do i enable logging of
debug-level messages in James ?

Thanks in advance,

Holger

RE: nntpserver current state of development

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Holger,

> What is the current state of development ?

Beta, I'd say.

There has been relatively little development of NNTP, but it does work.

> I recognized, that messages posted to the server are stored, but seem
> not to be returned correctly to clients.

See JAMES-311.  Try the same thing with the JAMES 2.3 release candidate, and you should see it working properly.  If not, please let us know.

> I assume that nntp control messages (i.e. the 'newgroup' command) are
> not supported, right ?

I'm hoping that someone will help to re-cast the NNTP implementation with command handlers, and then we can add modular support for control messages, amongst other things.  Adding even a very few things would really help to improve it.

Volunteers welcomed.  :-)

> How do i enable logging of debug-level messages in James ?

See the environment.xml file, where you can control log levels.

	--- Noel