Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> on 2006/01/03 04:47:48 UTC

Cactus status and issues

Hi everybody,

First of all, Happy 2006 for everyone :-)

Now, back to business, I'd like to discuss some issues regarding Cactus'
current status - in fact, I've been trying to send this message for
months, but just now I got the time to do so.

As there are so many thinks to say/discuss, let me try to break this
message in a couple of major topics:

1.Project status

The project seems quite dormant lately, mainly because Vincent is busy
with other projects (like Cargo and Maven 2). That's perfectly fine
(i.e., I'm not blaming him :-); in fact, he mentioned many times that he
doesn't even use Cactus anymore and the project needs a new leader. I
have faith this status is temporary, because there is a lot of stuff to
be done (see next topic) - I think the project just need a litthe push
to get going again. So, in order to recover that momentum, I'd like to
propose/ask 2 things:

First, one thing that might help push the project forward is moving it
to the new/proposed Testing TLP (Top Level Project). I mean, changes
always bring new energy (and curious people) to the project, so this
might be a good time for the move (besides, there's been some talk on
the Jakarta lists about moving most of the projects away from it).

Second, we need to identify who are the active committers and
contributors to the project. I know Vincent, Kasuhito, Kenney and myself
are committers and Yuan and Zheng were contributing some stuff - is
there anybody else?

2.Stuff to do

I can see at least 3 major developments that could be done for the
Cactus 1.8 (and/or 2.0) release(s):

- finish Cargo integration
- migrate build to Maven 2
- refactor package structure (relative to J2EE versions)

These features sounds like a lot of work, but we have already started
these activities; it's just a matter of coordinate the efforts to finish
them.

3.SVN status

Still regarding the Cargo integration, I think the SVN code is in a
delicated (read messy :-) situation. A few months ago, we decided to do
the Cargo integration in the HEAD and mantain a CACTUS_1_17 branch for
eventual releases before 1.18 (like 1.17.1 and 1.17.2). But I believe we
have also created another branch for Cargo integration. Long story
short, we need to unify those branches. My initial sugestion is to
revert the branches to the following status:

HEAD - revert to the old days where it had no Cargo integration. Right
now, it would be the equivalent of Cactus 1.17.1 + bugs fixed on
CACTUS_1_17 branch

CARGO_BRANCH (or whatever its named) - would contain the changes to
support Cargo, which would whatever the branch has now + Xuan's changes
to the HEAD + use of Cargo 0.7

other branches - do we have a branch for Maven 2 integration? And what
about the new packages hiearchy?

A second sugestion (if the first is to difficult to execute) is to leave
the branches as they are now (i.e., HEAD for Cargo Integration in Cactus
1.8 and BRANCH_1_17), but merging the changes done on the other Cargo
branch into the HEAD.

Whatever decision we make, I will 'volunteer' to do the job (as I was
the responbible for creating the branch in the first place :-).

Finally, notice that we haven't applied all of Xuan's patches yet...

4.Other issues

Besides the issues described in the previous sections, we still have
some minor stuff to fix/solve:

- Gump builds (A.K.A "The never ending story"): once we handle the Cargo
integration in the proper branch, we must either fix the Gump build or
remove Cactus from it. And when we (hopefully!) migrate Cactus to Maven
2, we could use Continuum to build it.

- site: we need to update the instructions on how to build Cactus from
SVN (and not CVS) anymore).

- HTMLUnit/HTTPUnit support: I believe there's been some threads
regarding Cactus' integration with these frameworks in the list, but
they have been dormant as well.

Regards,

-- Felipe

Re: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 1/3/06, Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> First of all, Happy 2006 for everyone :-)

Happy new year!

Now, back to business, I'd like to discuss some issues regarding Cactus'
> current status - in fact, I've been trying to send this message for
> months, but just now I got the time to do so.
>
> As there are so many thinks to say/discuss, let me try to break this
> message in a couple of major topics:
>
> 1.Project status
>
> The project seems quite dormant lately, mainly because Vincent is busy
> with other projects (like Cargo and Maven 2). That's perfectly fine
> (i.e., I'm not blaming him :-); in fact, he mentioned many times that he
> doesn't even use Cactus anymore and the project needs a new leader. I
> have faith this status is temporary, because there is a lot of stuff to
> be done (see next topic) - I think the project just need a litthe push
> to get going again. So, in order to recover that momentum, I'd like to
> propose/ask 2 things:
>
> First, one thing that might help push the project forward is moving it
> to the new/proposed Testing TLP (Top Level Project). I mean, changes
> always bring new energy (and curious people) to the project, so this
> might be a good time for the move (besides, there's been some talk on
> the Jakarta lists about moving most of the projects away from it).
>
> Second, we need to identify who are the active committers and
> contributors to the project. I know Vincent, Kasuhito, Kenney and myself
> are committers and Yuan and Zheng were contributing some stuff - is
> there anybody else?
>
> 2.Stuff to do
>
> I can see at least 3 major developments that could be done for the
> Cactus 1.8 (and/or 2.0) release(s):
>
> - finish Cargo integration
> - migrate build to Maven 2
> - refactor package structure (relative to J2EE versions)

I support strongly the refactoration of the cactus package structure. As
mentioned in my last post on the dev list (
http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg07684.html ),
i would like to propose to separate the cactus-j2ee-12.

These features sounds like a lot of work, but we have already started
> these activities; it's just a matter of coordinate the efforts to finish
> them.
>
> 3.SVN status
>
> Still regarding the Cargo integration, I think the SVN code is in a
> delicated (read messy :-) situation. A few months ago, we decided to do
> the Cargo integration in the HEAD and mantain a CACTUS_1_17 branch for
> eventual releases before 1.18 (like 1.17.1 and 1.17.2). But I believe we
> have also created another branch for Cargo integration. Long story
> short, we need to unify those branches. My initial sugestion is to
> revert the branches to the following status:
>
> HEAD - revert to the old days where it had no Cargo integration. Right
> now, it would be the equivalent of Cactus 1.17.1 + bugs fixed on
> CACTUS_1_17 branch
>
> CARGO_BRANCH (or whatever its named) - would contain the changes to
> support Cargo, which would whatever the branch has now + Xuan's changes
> to the HEAD + use of Cargo 0.7
>
> other branches - do we have a branch for Maven 2 integration? And what
> about the new packages hiearchy?
>
> A second sugestion (if the first is to difficult to execute) is to leave
> the branches as they are now (i.e., HEAD for Cargo Integration in Cactus
> 1.8 and BRANCH_1_17), but merging the changes done on the other Cargo
> branch into the HEAD.
>
> Whatever decision we make, I will 'volunteer' to do the job (as I was
> the responbible for creating the branch in the first place :-).
>
> Finally, notice that we haven't applied all of Xuan's patches yet...
>
> 4.Other issues
>
> Besides the issues described in the previous sections, we still have
> some minor stuff to fix/solve:
>
> - Gump builds (A.K.A "The never ending story"): once we handle the Cargo
> integration in the proper branch, we must either fix the Gump build or
> remove Cactus from it. And when we (hopefully!) migrate Cactus to Maven

Well, the gump! I had to create filters to put all messages generated by
gump to my spam mail box...

2, we could use Continuum to build it.

> - site: we need to update the instructions on how to build Cactus from
> SVN (and not CVS) anymore).
>
> - HTMLUnit/HTTPUnit support: I believe there's been some threads
> regarding Cactus' integration with these frameworks in the list, but
> they have been dormant as well.

Another thing i would like to add is the portlet unit support. It will be
cool if cactus supports unit testing for portlets.

Regards,

> -- Felipe

Best regards.

--
ZHENG Zhong
- http://heavyz.blogspot.com/

Re: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Zhong ZHENG <he...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 1/4/06, Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net> wrote:

> > Another thing i would like to add is the portlet unit support. It will
> > be cool if cactus supports unit testing for portlets.
>
> That would be great, because it would mean new major features (right
> now, the stuff I mentioned is basically internal refactoring). Do you
> have any idea/scratch on how we could add such support? (I'm asking
> because I'm not too much familiar with Portlets).

As a pluto committer, i am quite familar with the portlet API.
I will be glad to add the portlet support for cactus if i got enough time.

Regards.

Re: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Felipe Leme <ma...@felipeal.net>.
Hi all,

As just now I'm able to answer, I will inline everything in one (big!)
message...

Vincent Massol wrote:
 > that we need to limit to the maximum the number of branches as
 > everytime a branch has been created in Cactus history it has lead to
 > code not being applied to the trunk...
I remember your concerns about these history back then when the branch
was created. But in this case we are not having this risk (at least not
yet :-), as the branch is only receiving fixes that are not applicable
on the trunk (specially on the maven plugin, which will change a lot
internally once it uses Cargo)

Kenney Westerhof wrote:
> Sounds like a good idea! We just need to decide wheter to clean up the
> repo before or after the move (if cactus will indeed be moved..).
Which repo do you mean? Maven's repository (and Apache dist site) or the
  SVN codebase?

> Svn log and perl gave me this list of users and their last commit date on
> trunk:
Cool

> minor comment: HEAD is available on ALL branches; you probably mean
> 'trunk' where you say HEAD below (still using cvs terminology ey? :))
Sorry, too much CVS on my veins...

> Yup there is one for the m2 integration: CACTUS_TRUNK_MAVEN2_BRANCH
Ok, I wasn't mistaken then :-)

> move to m2 on a branch everybody is actively working on, and will become
> HEAD someday. Since a lot of files have to be moved I fear merging will
You mean 'trunk', right :-) ?

> Are there any plans to do another 1.7 bugfix release?
Hopefully not - unless we face some urgent issue whose fix cannot wait
until the 1.8 release (that's the reason for the branch, BTW: there were
a lot of small fixes since 1.7, specially on the Maven plugin).

> I feel the solution that's most easily maintained is to do all the work in
> trunk, and backport some bugfixes to the 1.7 branch (or the other way
 > around..).  So maybe I'd favor the second solution, plus add the
Yes, I agree. We should only make sure there isn't a second branch for
Cargo integration.

> conversion to m2 effort to the trunk, but you can probably make a better
Sure, once the m2 work is done, we can merge it (hopefully it won't be a
painful merge).

Magnus Grimsell wrote:
 >>to the new/proposed Testing TLP (Top Level Project). I mean, changes
 > I think this is a good thing and it probably can draw some extra
 > attention to the project.

Looks like we have a consensus then - I will formalize this in a
separate VOTE message, whose results we can forward to the PMC

 > Well, I certainly cannot call myself very active. I have a never
Hmm, right now nobody is really active, so you're in good shape :)

 > That led me to work on the Cargo project where I'm now a committer.
See? Your help will be extremely valuable on the Cargo integration :-)

Zhong ZHENG wrote:
 > I support strongly the refactoration of the cactus package structure.
 >As mentioned in my last post on the dev list (
 >http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-dev%40jakarta.apache.org/msg07684.html

Thanks for the pointer - when I mentioned there were 3 major stuff to
do, I meant stuff already discussed/proposed in the list.

 > i would like to propose to separate the cactus-j2ee-12.

I'm +1 on that too, as hopefully this J2EE version is history by now.
Also, I think we should take advantage of the M2 branch for this
refactoring, as both features (repackaging and M2 build) are going to
shake the directories anyways.

 > Another thing i would like to add is the portlet unit support. It will
 > be cool if cactus supports unit testing for portlets.

That would be great, because it would mean new major features (right
now, the stuff I mentioned is basically internal refactoring). Do you
have any idea/scratch on how we could add such support? (I'm asking
because I'm not too much familiar with Portlets).

Besides portlets, we could think about JSF, EJB and JMS support as well
- if we have time/energy enough, I mean :-)

-- Felipe

RE: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.

[snip]

> Yup there is one for the m2 integration: CACTUS_TRUNK_MAVEN2_BRANCH
> (it was split off from trunk). I had to refactor some classes a bit
> to make it work for m2 (in order to remove some circular dependencies in
> the code), but that wasn't too much work - we/I can start over again
> from a fixed trunk/branch. Btw, I'd prefer it then if we'd do the
> move to m2 on a branch everybody is actively working on, and will become
> HEAD someday. Since a lot of files have to be moved I fear merging will
> become terribly difficult and error prone.
>
> > A second sugestion (if the first is to difficult to execute) is to leave
> > the branches as they are now (i.e., HEAD for Cargo Integration in Cactus
> > 1.8 and BRANCH_1_17), but merging the changes done on the other Cargo
> > branch into the HEAD.
>
> Are there any plans to do another 1.7 bugfix release?
> Branches are neat
> and all, but my experience is they only work well if the work on them is
> concentrated on a specific small section of the tree.
>
> I feel the solution that's most easily maintained is to do all the work in
> trunk, and backport some bugfixes to the 1.7 branch (or the other way
> around..).  So maybe I'd favor the second solution, plus add the
> conversion to m2 effort to the trunk, but you can probably make a better
> judgement :)

I completely agree. Making important changes to a branch without it being in
the trunk is just too hard to merge afterwards.

On the Maven list there's been some interesting discussion on the dev
process to follow (see
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Development+Process) and I like the
strategy of having everything on the trunk and picking what goes in the
release branch. Non-release branches should only occur for some experimental
work but it shouldn't be meant to be merged really.

Obviously for this to work each change brought to the trunk must be small
and leave the trunk in a working state. I think this is doable.

[snip]

-Vincent

Re: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Kenney Westerhof <fo...@neonics.com>.
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Felipe Leme wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> First of all, Happy 2006 for everyone :-)

Same to you!

> 1.Project status

[snip]

> First, one thing that might help push the project forward is moving it
> to the new/proposed Testing TLP (Top Level Project). I mean, changes
> always bring new energy (and curious people) to the project, so this
> might be a good time for the move (besides, there's been some talk on
> the Jakarta lists about moving most of the projects away from it).

Sounds like a good idea! We just need to decide wheter to clean up the
repo before or after the move (if cactus will indeed be moved..).

> Second, we need to identify who are the active committers and
> contributors to the project. I know Vincent, Kasuhito, Kenney and myself
> are committers and Yuan and Zheng were contributing some stuff - is
> there anybody else?

Svn log and perl gave me this list of users and their last commit date on
trunk:

nchalumeau 2005-09-28 21:00:35
vmassol    2005-08-24 21:47:54
felipeal   2005-08-18 20:22:35
kenney     2005-08-10 20:05:03
grimsell   2005-05-24 14:02:31
suguri     2005-01-13 12:42:27 (from here: last commit >1 year ago (+/-))
cmlenz     2004-04-13 10:56:05
ndlesiecki 2003-06-26 17:09:02
jruaux     2003-05-15 11:32:51

> 2.Stuff to do
>
> I can see at least 3 major developments that could be done for the
> Cactus 1.8 (and/or 2.0) release(s):
>
> - finish Cargo integration
> - migrate build to Maven 2
> - refactor package structure (relative to J2EE versions)
>
> These features sounds like a lot of work, but we have already started
> these activities; it's just a matter of coordinate the efforts to finish
> them.
>
> 3.SVN status

minor comment: HEAD is available on ALL branches; you probably mean
'trunk' where you say HEAD below (still using cvs terminology ey? :))

> Still regarding the Cargo integration, I think the SVN code is in a
> delicated (read messy :-) situation. A few months ago, we decided to do
> the Cargo integration in the HEAD and mantain a CACTUS_1_17 branch for
> eventual releases before 1.18 (like 1.17.1 and 1.17.2). But I believe we
> have also created another branch for Cargo integration. Long story
> short, we need to unify those branches. My initial sugestion is to
> revert the branches to the following status:
>
> HEAD - revert to the old days where it had no Cargo integration. Right
> now, it would be the equivalent of Cactus 1.17.1 + bugs fixed on
> CACTUS_1_17 branch

isn't that the current state of the CACTUS_1_17 branch then?

> CARGO_BRANCH (or whatever its named) - would contain the changes to
> support Cargo, which would whatever the branch has now + Xuan's changes
> to the HEAD + use of Cargo 0.7
>
> other branches - do we have a branch for Maven 2 integration? And what
> about the new packages hiearchy?

Yup there is one for the m2 integration: CACTUS_TRUNK_MAVEN2_BRANCH
(it was split off from trunk). I had to refactor some classes a bit
to make it work for m2 (in order to remove some circular dependencies in
the code), but that wasn't too much work - we/I can start over again
from a fixed trunk/branch. Btw, I'd prefer it then if we'd do the
move to m2 on a branch everybody is actively working on, and will become
HEAD someday. Since a lot of files have to be moved I fear merging will
become terribly difficult and error prone.

> A second sugestion (if the first is to difficult to execute) is to leave
> the branches as they are now (i.e., HEAD for Cargo Integration in Cactus
> 1.8 and BRANCH_1_17), but merging the changes done on the other Cargo
> branch into the HEAD.

Are there any plans to do another 1.7 bugfix release?
Branches are neat
and all, but my experience is they only work well if the work on them is
concentrated on a specific small section of the tree.

I feel the solution that's most easily maintained is to do all the work in
trunk, and backport some bugfixes to the 1.7 branch (or the other way
around..).  So maybe I'd favor the second solution, plus add the
conversion to m2 effort to the trunk, but you can probably make a better
judgement :)

-- Kenney

> Whatever decision we make, I will 'volunteer' to do the job (as I was
> the responbible for creating the branch in the first place :-).
>
> Finally, notice that we haven't applied all of Xuan's patches yet...

> 4.Other issues
>
> Besides the issues described in the previous sections, we still have
> some minor stuff to fix/solve:
>
> - Gump builds (A.K.A "The never ending story"): once we handle the Cargo
> integration in the proper branch, we must either fix the Gump build or
> remove Cactus from it. And when we (hopefully!) migrate Cactus to Maven
> 2, we could use Continuum to build it.
>
> - site: we need to update the instructions on how to build Cactus from
> SVN (and not CVS) anymore).
>
> - HTMLUnit/HTTPUnit support: I believe there's been some threads
> regarding Cactus' integration with these frameworks in the list, but
> they have been dormant as well.
>

> Regards,
>
> -- Felipe

Kenney Westerhof
http://www.neonics.com
GPG public key: http://www.gods.nl/~forge/kenneyw.key

RE: Cactus status and issues

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Felipe,

A happy new year 2006 to you too!

> Now, back to business, I'd like to discuss some issues regarding Cactus'
> current status - in fact, I've been trying to send this message for
> months, but just now I got the time to do so.
>
> As there are so many thinks to say/discuss, let me try to break this
> message in a couple of major topics:
>
> 1.Project status
>
> The project seems quite dormant lately, mainly because Vincent is busy
> with other projects (like Cargo and Maven 2). That's perfectly fine
> (i.e., I'm not blaming him :-);

Hey thanks! :-)

> in fact, he mentioned many times that he
> doesn't even use Cactus anymore and the project needs a new leader. I
> have faith this status is temporary, because there is a lot of stuff to
> be done (see next topic) - I think the project just need a litthe push
> to get going again. So, in order to recover that momentum, I'd like to
> propose/ask 2 things:
>
> First, one thing that might help push the project forward is moving it
> to the new/proposed Testing TLP (Top Level Project). I mean, changes
> always bring new energy (and curious people) to the project, so this
> might be a good time for the move (besides, there's been some talk on
> the Jakarta lists about moving most of the projects away from it).

+1, a good idea.

> Second, we need to identify who are the active committers and
> contributors to the project. I know Vincent, Kasuhito, Kenney and myself
> are committers and Yuan and Zheng were contributing some stuff - is
> there anybody else?
>
> 2.Stuff to do
>
> I can see at least 3 major developments that could be done for the
> Cactus 1.8 (and/or 2.0) release(s):
>
> - finish Cargo integration

A big +1. I think this is a major feature as it'll bring all the work we've
been doing in Cargo land to our Cactus users.

> - migrate build to Maven 2

Kenney had started this if I remember correctly. Not sure what state it was
left in though.

> - refactor package structure (relative to J2EE versions)

Yep, agreed.

> These features sounds like a lot of work, but we have already started
> these activities; it's just a matter of coordinate the efforts to finish
> them.
>
> 3.SVN status
>
> Still regarding the Cargo integration, I think the SVN code is in a
> delicated (read messy :-) situation. A few months ago, we decided to do
> the Cargo integration in the HEAD and mantain a CACTUS_1_17 branch for
> eventual releases before 1.18 (like 1.17.1 and 1.17.2). But I believe we
> have also created another branch for Cargo integration. Long story
> short, we need to unify those branches. My initial sugestion is to
> revert the branches to the following status:
>
> HEAD - revert to the old days where it had no Cargo integration. Right
> now, it would be the equivalent of Cactus 1.17.1 + bugs fixed on
> CACTUS_1_17 branch
>
> CARGO_BRANCH (or whatever its named) - would contain the changes to
> support Cargo, which would whatever the branch has now + Xuan's changes
> to the HEAD + use of Cargo 0.7
>
> other branches - do we have a branch for Maven 2 integration? And what
> about the new packages hiearchy?
>
> A second sugestion (if the first is to difficult to execute) is to leave
> the branches as they are now (i.e., HEAD for Cargo Integration in Cactus
> 1.8 and BRANCH_1_17), but merging the changes done on the other Cargo
> branch into the HEAD.
>
> Whatever decision we make, I will 'volunteer' to do the job (as I was
> the responbible for creating the branch in the first place :-).
>
> Finally, notice that we haven't applied all of Xuan's patches yet...

I'm happy to go with whatever solution you want to pursue Felipe. I agree
that we need to limit to the maximum the number of branches as everytime a
branch has been created in Cactus history it has lead to code not being
applied to the trunk...

> 4.Other issues
>
> Besides the issues described in the previous sections, we still have
> some minor stuff to fix/solve:
>
> - Gump builds (A.K.A "The never ending story"): once we handle the Cargo
> integration in the proper branch, we must either fix the Gump build or
> remove Cactus from it. And when we (hopefully!) migrate Cactus to Maven
> 2, we could use Continuum to build it.

When we are in that ready state I can probably help find some continuum
server to host the Cactus m2 build.

> - site: we need to update the instructions on how to build Cactus from
> SVN (and not CVS) anymore).
>
> - HTMLUnit/HTTPUnit support: I believe there's been some threads
> regarding Cactus' integration with these frameworks in the list, but
> they have been dormant as well.

All good things.

Thanks for biting the bullet! :-)
-Vincent