Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kelly Harward <ha...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/23 00:44:56 UTC

Suggestions for running Maven on an airgapped network

I am new to Maven and am currently looking at it to help bring order
to a handful of related projects that are currently built using Ant.

I have been working my way through "Better Builds with Maven" and
trying to digest the information presented there. In section 2.1
(Preparing to Use Maven) you can find the following assertion, "In
its optimal mode, Maven requires network access...". I assume that
the term "network" in the phrase "network access" refers to the
Internet. I can already see that Maven relies pretty heavily on being
able to phone home to the central repository in its efforts to
resolve project dependencies.

I am faced with an interesting environment where all development is
conducted on an internal, "airgapped" network. In short, there is no
physical connection between this internal development network and the
Internet. Sometimes two networks in this configuration are referred
to as "low side" and "high side," indicating which direction data is
flowing. In our particular case, the Internet is the "high side"
network and the internal development network is the "low side"
network. In order to move data from the high side to the low side, it
is necessary to write data to a physical medium, and move it to a
device on the latter network.

The first thought that comes to mind is to setup an internal mirror
of the Maven central repository. That may work (although it is
certain to give at least one security-minded network engineer serious
heartburn). Are there any guidelines or standards for this type of
configuration? Also, it is possible to setup a partial mirror of the
central repository (in the event that those aforementioned security-
minded folk can't abide the entire repository)?

I would imagine that I am not the first person in the Maven community
to face this dilemma. Any information or insight that you may be able
to provide in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Suggestions for running Maven on an airgapped network

Posted by Tamás Cservenák <t....@gmail.com>.
Hmmm. You took the URL right out of my mouth :)

~t~

Posted by Eric Redmond <er...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like you could use a proxy. Before Tamás has time to reply, take a
look at this ;-)

http://proximity.abstracthorizon.org/

Eric

On 8/22/06, Kelly Harward <ha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to Maven and am currently looking at it to help bring order
> to a handful of related projects that are currently built using Ant.
>
> I have been working my way through "Better Builds with Maven" and
> trying to digest the information presented there. In section 2.1
> (Preparing to Use Maven) you can find the following assertion, "In
> its optimal mode, Maven requires network access...". I assume that
> the term "network" in the phrase "network access" refers to the
> Internet. I can already see that Maven relies pretty heavily on being
> able to phone home to the central repository in its efforts to
> resolve project dependencies.
>
> I am faced with an interesting environment where all development is
> conducted on an internal, "airgapped" network. In short, there is no
> physical connection between this internal development network and the
> Internet. Sometimes two networks in this configuration are referred
> to as "low side" and "high side," indicating which direction data is
> flowing. In our particular case, the Internet is the "high side"
> network and the internal development network is the "low side"
> network. In order to move data from the high side to the low side, it
> is necessary to write data to a physical medium, and move it to a
> device on the latter network.
>
> The first thought that comes to mind is to setup an internal mirror
> of the Maven central repository. That may work (although it is
> certain to give at least one security-minded network engineer serious
> heartburn). Are there any guidelines or standards for this type of
> configuration? Also, it is possible to setup a partial mirror of the
> central repository (in the event that those aforementioned security-
> minded folk can't abide the entire repository)?
>
> I would imagine that I am not the first person in the Maven community
> to face this dilemma. Any information or insight that you may be able
> to provide in this matter is appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Eric Redmond
http://codehaus.org/~eredmond