Posted to log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2008/04/01 00:51:10 UTC

[VOTE] log4cxx-0.10.0 RC8

src/test/cpp/logunit.cpp in RC7 (and in all previous 0.10.0 RC's) is
missing an "#include <locale.h>" that will cause a "make check" to
fail to compile with Sun Studio 11, but does not apparently affect the
other platforms.  I do not see that defect sufficient to recall RC7,
however I've prepared an RC8 with just that fix to consider as an
alternative to RC7.  Given personal time constraints, I do not have
the option of extending the voting window to allow the normal 72 hours
on RC8 and am setting the end time on the RC8 vote to coincide with
the RC7 vote, which results in a voting window of approximately 57
hours for RC8.

Unless the candidate is withdrawn, voting should be open until 08:20
GMT 2008-04-03.  All discussion should occur on log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org
.

You may vote for releasing both RC7 and RC8.  If both votes pass, RC8
will be released as Apache log4cxx 0.10.0.  If only RC7 passes, then
RC7 will be released as Apache log4cxx 0.10.0.  If neither vote
reaches quorum, the next time I will be able to prepare a release
candidate will be mid-April.

------------

log4cxx 0.10.0 RC8 is now available for review for release on the
unofficial builds area.  This release candidate is strictly provided
for consideration for release, may be withdrawn and will be removed
from the publication location at the conclusion of the voting period.
RC8 is currently available at:

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.tar.gz
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.tar.gz)= b30ffb8da3665178e68940ff7a61084c

http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.zip
MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.zip)= 9dd7eefcb9b73a2ef25b9e7ef7eadc2a

The corresponding web content can be viewed directly from the staging
SVN:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4cxx/index.html

The corresponding source is available at:
svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/log4cxx/tags/v0_10_0-rc8

See the RC7 vote announcement for all other notes.

Re: [VOTE] log4cxx-0.10.0 RC8

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.

> You may vote for releasing both RC7 and RC8.  If both votes pass,
> RC8 will be released as Apache log4cxx 0.10.0.  If only RC7 passes,
> then RC7 will be released as Apache log4cxx 0.10.0.  If neither vote
> reaches quorum, the next time I will be able to prepare a release
> candidate will be mid-April.

My review is based on RC8, I never got a chance to look at RC7.
> ------------
>

> log4cxx 0.10.0 RC8 is now available for review for release on the
> unofficial builds area.  This release candidate is strictly provided
> for consideration for release, may be withdrawn and will be removed
> from the publication location at the conclusion of the voting
> period.  RC8 is currently available at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.tar.gz
> MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.tar.gz)=
> b30ffb8da3665178e68940ff7a61084c

matches.  unpacks cleanly (usual lone zero block warning at the end -
such is life).

> http://people.apache.org/builds/logging/log4cxx/0.10.0/apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.zip
> MD5(apache-log4cxx-0.10.0-rc8.zip)= 9dd7eefcb9b73a2ef25b9e7ef7eadc2a

Matches. unpacks cleanly.

> The corresponding web content can be viewed directly from the
> staging SVN:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/logging/site/trunk/docs/log4cxx/index.html

One typo/copy/paste error I found in the site, which was present in
the previous release too visible from logging.apache.org/ is in the
Mailing List area.  The -dev list for the gmain archives points to the
log4j-dev instead.

Since I'm not a C or C++ developer and limited to Hello World (been
too long in Java now) I can't comment on the quality per-se.  The dev
mailing list archives are not showing any community, non-binding votes
either way as yet, but procedurally I vote +1 subject to community
happiness with the binaries themselves.

cheers,

Paul