Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by David Novogrodsky <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/29 23:59:55 UTC

Fwd: problems with Hadoop instalation

All,

I am new to Hadoop so any help would be appreciated.

I have a question for the mailing list regarding Hadoop.  I have installed
the most recent stable version (2.4.1) on a virtual machine running CentOS
7.  I have tried to run this command
%>Hadoop -fs ls but without success.

​The question is, what does Hadoop consider a valid JAVA_HOME directory?
And where should the JAVA_HOME directory variable be defined?  I installed
Java using the package manager yum.  I installed the most recent version,
detailed below.​

​T​
his is in my .bashrc file
# The java implementation to use.
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64

[david@localhost ~]$ hadoop fs -ls
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133:
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.7.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java: No such file or directory

then I tried this value for JAVA_HOME
​ in my .bashrc file.
/usr/bin/Java.
​
[david@localhost ~]$ which java
/usr/bin/java
[david@localhost ~]$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_71"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (rhel-2.5.3.1.el7_0-x86_64 u71-b14)

here is the result:
[david@localhost ~]$hadoop fs -ls
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133: /usr/bin/java/bin/java: Not a
directory
/usr/local/hadoop/bin/hadoop: line 133: exec: /usr/bin/java/bin/java:
cannot execute: Not a directory

David Novogrodsky

Re: problems with Hadoop instalation

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.
Are RHEL7 based OSs supported?

Posted by Bhooshan Mogal <bm...@pivotal.io>.
HI David,

JAVA_HOME should point to the java installation directory. Typically, this
directory will contain a subdirectory called 'bin'. Hadoop tries to find
the java command in $JAVA_HOME/bin/java.

It is likely that /usr/bin/java is a symlink to some other file. If you do
an ls -l /usr/bin/java, you should be able to see where that symlink points
to. If the symlink points to a path that is of the form
<base_dir>/bin/java, then <base_dir> should be the value of JAVA_HOME.

HTH,
Bhooshan

Posted by Henry Hung <YT...@winbond.com>.
Try to add “/” at the end of hadoop fs -ls

So it will become
Hadoop fs -ls /

[...]

________________________________
The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Winbond is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Winbond shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Winbond.

Re: problems with Hadoop instalation

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leonid Fedotov <lf...@hortonworks.com>.
David,
download Sandbox from hortonworks.com and you will have everything ready to
play with.

*Thank you!*

*Sincerely,*

*Leonid Fedotov*

Systems Architect - Professional Services

lfedotov@hortonworks.com

office: +1 855 846 7866 ext 292

mobile: +1 650 430 1673

--