Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/09 23:05:14 UTC

[PROPOSAL][WWW] style and content changes to home page

Please have a look when you get a moment at the test area for home pages in:

http://www.openoffice.org/test/

I have moved what were basically permanent items on our social networking
areas and blog to the
"I want to stay in touch..." area. Also, I edited the styling giving ~66%
to the main menu items and ~33% to the "campaign" items to deal with
annoyances on both browser and mobile devices.

I am  invoking *lazy consensus* on these changes and put this in place
sometime on Sat, PDT -- say 15:30, unless there are objections.

as a short ps. I did discover, after some investigation into the actual
html for our generated web site, that we do indeed already have ssi enabled
for ALL ".html" files for our entire site. So, if that helps anyone in any
way. I am already investigating and testing this to deal with the ongoing
"news" area.

Set up file extensions for your includes with some other than ".html" -- I
used ".ssi" -- and away you go!
MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: [PROPOSAL][WWW] style and content changes to home page

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 10/14/2012 03:52 PM, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 10/15/2012 12:29 AM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, but as dropped. And for HTML 5 just proposed and not yet accepted.
>>>

>> No.  Look carefully.  There are two entries.  The one in the "dropped"
>> tabled is for an older meaning of "publisher".  But look again at the
>> first table.  "publisher" is still there and references the Google
>> definition.  So they dropped the old definition and added the a new
>
> yes, but it's just "proposed". That means it's not yet valid.
>
>> one.  Net result is the error goes away if we just change the
>> attribute value to all lowercase.
>
> As you can see with the staged version of the index page the error is
> still there. ;-)

>>> The page is already declared, as "XHTML 1.0 Strict", see the first
>>> line in
>>> the source file:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>>>
>>> But it seems to be deleted when it's staged and published, it's just the
>>> following:
>>>
>>> <!DOCTYPE html>
>>>

>> The only thing that counts is what is published and that is determined
>> by the templating logic.

>>> Or investigate and fix whats going wrong in staging and publishing. ;-)
>>>

>> Good luck.  Remember, most of the website pages, aside from the wiki,
>
> I know, and patches are always welcome. ;-(
>
>> are hand authored now.  Nothing is enforcing any single doctype, or
>> even well-formedness.  It is human-authored "tag soup".
>
> Many files have already a doc type.

>>> Deleting because we cannot fix it? Hm.
>>>

>> Deleting because it is pointless to host a W3C badge for a 10 year old
>> web standard that we don't really use for the website.
>>
>> Heck, I'd be happy if we spell checked the website.  We can't agree on
>> U.S. versus UK English, or on which CSS to use, or what look and feel
>> to use for NL pages.  We have a lot of things to fix that users can
>> actually see before we worry about XHTML versus HTML.
>
> That's not wrong. So, feel free to delete it.
>
> I can only speak for myself when saying I'll try to avoid any
> warnings/errors when working on HTML files.
>
> You are right when thinking it's not easy to find the right way,
> therefore for me this thread is now at its end. All well.
>
> Marcus

The graphic is now gone...we will likely be making additional changes
soonish...so we can further discuss if we want something like even in
the footer, or not.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/14/2012 05:17 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>> Am 10/14/2012 04:10 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:

>>> If you make it lower case "publisher" it should be OK.
>>>
>>> -Rob

>> I've made the change but this doesn't make a difference, see:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links
>>

> Look at the detailed error message here:
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3a%2f%2fwww.openoffice.org%2ftest%2f
>
> It looks like the W3C Validator looks at more than the values in the
> HTML specification.  They also look at the Microformats Wiki:
>
> http://microformats.org/wiki/existing-rel-values#HTML5_link_type_extensions
>
> "publisher" is listed there.
>
> Of course, that is what the error message says.  I have no idea if the
> Validator actually works that way ;-)

For me the Wiki says "do not use 'publisher', it's no longer valid HTML
4.x style":

rel value | summary | defining specification | why dropped
publisher | identifies a hypertext link to a publisher | HTML4dropped |
unknown

However, it could come back in HTML 5 as it's already proposed:

Keyword | Effect on link | Effect on a, area | Brief description | Link
to specification | Synonyms | Status

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/10/2012 09:08 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 09/10/2012 Kay Schenk wrote:
>> http://www.openoffice.org/test/ ...
>> I am invoking *lazy consensus* on these changes and put this in place
>> sometime on Sat, PDT -- say 15:30, unless there are objections.
>
> It's nice indeed. I only see the "Valid XHTML" icon positioned a bit too
> high maybe... Is it wanted?
> http://people.apache.org/~pescetti/tmp/ooo-www-test.png
>
> And, by the way, clicking on it reveals that there are a couple of
> markup fixes to apply, but I don't know if those are due to the CMS or
> to specific markup of the page.

Currenty it's 1 warning and 1 error. The warning comes because the
validator uses a new HTML 5 checker which is still in Beta status. IMHO
it's irrelevant.

The error is due to the "PUBLISHER" tag in the link reference (line 8).

Due to the following webpage "PUBLISHER" is no valid HTML style. However
I wouldn't change it as it seems to be used for Google index referencing:

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/14/2012 05:58 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:53 AM, Marcus (OOo)<ma...@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
>> Am 10/10/2012 05:29 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>>
>>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Andrea Pescetti<pe...@apache.org>**
>>> wrote:

>>> hmmm...thanks for the feedback. Yes, the positioning can be changed and I
>>> will look at the fixes it tags.
>>>

>> I've changed the positioning of the W3C validator logo to show it left
>> aligned. IMHO it's looking better than stuck to the rightmost. I hope you
>> don't mind.
>>
>> Marcus
>>

> Well I kind of like it off to the right better, but this isn't a big issue
> for me.
>
> As for the validator element itself...I would be in favor of removing it
> entirely. It's only on the home page so what's the point unless we want to
> add it to the footer area, so it would display on ALL pages.  Ah! I just

Good point. Moving it into the footer would be great.

Marcus

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 11:46 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 2:05 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
> > Please have a look when you get a moment at the test area for home pages
> in:
> >
> > http://www.openoffice.org/test/
> >
> > I have moved what were basically permanent items on our social networking
> > areas and blog to the
> > "I want to stay in touch..." area. Also, I edited the styling giving ~66%
> > to the main menu items and ~33% to the "campaign" items to deal with
> > annoyances on both browser and mobile devices.
> >
> > I am  invoking *lazy consensus* on these changes and put this in place
> > sometime on Sat, PDT -- say 15:30, unless there are objections.
> >
> > as a short ps. I did discover, after some investigation into the actual
> > html for our generated web site, that we do indeed already have ssi
> enabled
> > for ALL ".html" files for our entire site.
>
> I told you that was the case more than once, but I guess you had to figure
> it out yourself.

Well you did I have no doubt. I probably misunderstood what you were trying
to say,  and yes, did have to figure it out myself.  :/ It was obvious when
I saw what actually got generated from the build. Duh...I guess I should
have looked at this a lot sooner.

> > So, if that helps anyone in any
> > way. I am already investigating and testing this to deal with the ongoing
> > "news" area.
> >
> > Set up file extensions for your includes with some other than ".html" --
> > used ".ssi" -- and away you go!
>
> Or, modify the behavior of ooo-site/trunk/lib/path.pm to do a
> transformation of xml or mdtext into a ssi.

Well I originally just wanted to use a simple ".ssi" for the News business
to get away from editing and archiving entries as we do now. This was
before Rob's suggestions about xml feeds etc.  At any rate, I'm sure
there's a lot that could be done. Right now, I'm having issues getting
includes to work with my local setup...so after I get that gong, I'll do
more testing, and make more changes to our header portions.

> There is more to learn about it. You can ask about it directly or find my
> emails in the archives.

OK...I'll do that. Maybe at some point, we could work on providing
additional information in our instructions as well -- maybe "Advanced
Website Techniques" or something.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/10/9 Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>

> Please have a look when you get a moment at the test area for home pages
> in:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/test/
>
> I have moved what were basically permanent items on our social networking
> areas and blog to the
> "I want to stay in touch..." area. Also, I edited the styling giving ~66%
> to the main menu items and ~33% to the "campaign" items to deal with
> annoyances on both browser and mobile devices.
>
> I am  invoking *lazy consensus* on these changes and put this in place
> sometime on Sat, PDT -- say 15:30, unless there are objections.

I like it! +1 from here.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please have a look when you get a moment at the test area for home pages in:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/test/
>
> I have moved what were basically permanent items on our social networking
> areas and blog to the
> "I want to stay in touch..." area. Also, I edited the styling giving ~66%
> to the main menu items and ~33% to the "campaign" items to deal with
> annoyances on both browser and mobile devices.

Yes, it is an improvement, certainly.  Thanks.

Btw, in case it is useful for deciding how to optimize the page, here
is the distribution of screen resolution for visitors to the website
in the past month:

1.	1366x768	 1,366,268	 19.34%
2.	1280x800	    889,840	 12.60%
3.	1024x768	    736,505	 10.43%