Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/19 12:58:30 UTC

Wiki spam prevention measure

Gavin recently updated the details of how the ASF Wiki works, and
added details of how SpamAssassin have completely stopped spam
happening:

http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot

Might be worth considering for Tomcat?

The ContributorsGroup could be pre-populated with recent 'ham' contributors.

Re: Wiki spam prevention measure

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 June 2011 15:20, Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/6/19 sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
>> Gavin recently updated the details of how the ASF Wiki works, and
>> added details of how SpamAssassin have completely stopped spam
>> happening:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot
>>
>> Might be worth considering for Tomcat?
>>
>> The ContributorsGroup could be pre-populated with recent 'ham' contributors.
>>

> Thank you, Sebastian.
>
> Configuring a ContributorsGroup has its drawbacks and I am not ready for those.
>
> 1) Admins are few and they are not here 7*24 to add people.

You can always add more admins from the pool of people on the user
list - I expect there are a few who would be happy to help.

> 2) There is "PoweredBy" page that has hundred of different authors.
>
> I am not ready to manage those people.

There are lots more potential spammers.
And spammers may have to be dealt with multiple times, whereas a
contributor just needs to be added once.

There were approximately 60 edits to that page in 2011 so far, of
which at least 37 were spam or despam.

That's about 1 valid edit per week for that page.

But of course it is up to the Tomcat developers to decide on how they
want to manage their Wiki.

Re: Wiki spam prevention measure

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2011/6/19 sebb <se...@gmail.com>:
> Gavin recently updated the details of how the ASF Wiki works, and
> added details of how SpamAssassin have completely stopped spam
> happening:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/general/OurWikiFarm#per_wiki_access_control_-_tighten_your_wiki_just_a_little.2C_benefit_just_a_lot
>
> Might be worth considering for Tomcat?
>
> The ContributorsGroup could be pre-populated with recent 'ham' contributors.

Thank you, Sebastian.

Configuring a ContributorsGroup has its drawbacks and I am not ready for those.

1) Admins are few and they are not here 7*24 to add people.

2) There is "PoweredBy" page that has hundred of different authors.

I am not ready to manage those people.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko