Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Liaqat Ali <li...@gmail.com> on 2007/12/29 11:43:48 UTC

Calculating Precision and Recall

Hello All,

I want to calculate the Precision and Recall of the current system,
based on Lucene. What should be the procedure and either there are some
tools available for this purpose.

Kindly guide me.

Regards,
Liaqat

Re: Calculating Precision and Recall

Posted by Liaqat Ali <li...@gmail.com>.
Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> http://trec.nist.gov/trec_eval/trec_eval.8.0.tar.gz is a program that
> takes in the a results file and a set of judgments and spits out
> precision and recall.  If you want more info, have a look at the TREC
> program.  Also, the Lucene contrib/benchmark section has some tools
> for doing Quality benchmarks.   My talk at
> http://people.apache.org/~gsingers/apachecon07/LucenePerformance.ppt has
> a _little_ bit of info on precision/recall, but there is certainly
> more to be had out there than that.
>
> Do you have relevance judgments?
>
> -Grant
>

> On Dec 29, 2007, at 5:43 AM, Liaqat Ali wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I want to calculate the Precision and Recall of the current system,
>> based on Lucene. What should be the procedure and either there are
>> some tools available for this purpose.
>>
>> Kindly guide me.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Liaqat

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://lucene.grantingersoll.com
> http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints:

Thanks Grant for the suggestion, I have relevance judgments. As treceval
is concerned, I have a little bit problem with understanding of  Relfile
of TREC format. the first field is Doc id , second Iter, Third Doc name
and what is the fourth field (which is either 0 or 1).Can you explain
that to me.  And how I can calculate things manually, because I have
small number of documents.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.