Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org> on 2015/03/27 14:50:56 UTC

Infra asking for feedback on CMS decommissioning proposal

Hi,

The infra team has started a discussion on infrastructure-dev [1]
regarding their proposal to decommission the CMS service as it currently
stands. I would encourage you to skim the thread and also look at the
official FAQ [2].

If there are any concerns/clarifications needs from the Sling project
let's take them to that discussion.

Cheers,

Robert

[1]:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-infrastructure-dev/201503.mbox/%3C1253219853.1842145.1427337348028.JavaMail.yahoo%40mail.yahoo.com%3E
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/CMS
+Decommissioning+RFC+-+Frequently+Asked+Questions

Re: Infra asking for feedback on CMS decommissioning proposal

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Tommaso Teofili
> <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *happily says bye bye to the CMS service*...
>
> So you're volunteering for any required content conversions? ;-)

oh no! :-)

> I like the current Apache CMS workflow - edit in svn or git, preview
> on a staging website (on my box would be even better),  commit if ok.
>
> It fits our usual way of working on our code, using basic tools.

true, not sure why but I never felt too much satisfied with this one though.

> I almost don't use the browser-based stuff though.

I mean in the end, there _must_ be something better for this scope out
there...

Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Tommaso Teofili
> <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > *happily says bye bye to the CMS service*...
>
> So you're volunteering for any required content conversions? ;-)
>
> I like the current Apache CMS workflow - edit in svn or git, preview
> on a staging website (on my box would be even better)

IMHO, this was the biggest problem -- I tried setting up the preview on my
own box, but it never actually worked. That's really the beauty of Jekyll.

Regards,
Justin

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Am 27.03.15 um 14:50 schrieb Robert Munteanu:
> Hi,
>
> The infra team has started a discussion on infrastructure-dev [1]
> regarding their proposal to decommission the CMS service as it currently
> stands. I would encourage you to skim the thread and also look at the
> official FAQ [2].
>
> If there are any concerns/clarifications needs from the Sling project
> let's take them to that discussion.

I'm not very enthusiastic about this change - we haven't even completely
finished the migration from confluence to the current CMS. I don't see
that yet another system will help us with this.
No matter how smart the cms is (or whatever you call it), it still
requires people to work on documentation.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland