Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Lamb, Mark" <Ma...@spirent.com> on 2001/08/23 16:28:54 UTC

Frustrated by Tomcat4 & Cocoon2

Hi All,

I am getting really frustrated trying to get Cocoon2 to run under Tomcat4.

I have a Linux Mandrake 8.0 machine with Java 1.3.1 installed.
Tomcat 4.0-b7 has been downloaded, installed and I have confirmed that it
works correctly.
Jakarta Ant 1.4.1 Beta 1 has been installed and is working.
Cocoon2-b2 was downloaded.
I modified cocoon2/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml so that the following lines appear

<init-param>
    <param-name>extra-classpath</param-name>

<param-value>/usr/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/common/lib/servlet.jar</para
m-value>
</init-param>

I then built the cocoon app with the command
ant -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp

Finally I copy cocoon.war into $TOMCAT_HOME/webapp and start tomcat with the
command 'catalina.sh run'.

After a few moments, tomcat crashed with the following error:

./catalina.sh: line:170 16997 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP
-Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@"
start

I have had a look at catalina.sh and line 170 is the very last line in the
script, so that doesnt help much.

Has anyone seen this before or can anyone help me ...

Thanks,
Mark.

Re: Frustrated by Tomcat4 & Cocoon2

Posted by Christopher Cobb <cc...@phtek.com>.
Try 1.3.

SOLVED: C1.8.2 and C2.0b2 questions (point 1)

Posted by Drasko Kokic <dr...@yahoo.com>.
The first point is being solved ... there was one
<xsl:copy> too many in my logicsheet for the attribute
forwarding.

Hope this could be helpfull to others

Drasko

P.S. I am still struggling with the second point.

C1.8.2 and C2.0b2 questions

RE: XSLT Book Recommendation

Posted by Max Dunn <ma...@siliconpublishing.com>.
Michael Kay's book, XSLT Programmer's reference, 2nd edition, is
essential (ISBN 1861003129).  Two other good books:
XSLT Quickly, Bob DuCharme (ISBN 1930110111)
The XSL companion, Neil Bradley (ISBN 0201674874)

See the links here:
http://www.siliconpublishing.org/XSL.asp
especially Dave Pawson's FAQ:
http://www.dpawson.co.uk/xsl/xslfaq.html
, the XSLT chapter or the XML Bible online at:
http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch17.html
and ZVON's XSLT Tutorial:
http://zvon.org/xxl/XSLTutorial/Books/Book1/index.html

If you're serious, the Mulberry Tech list has a substantial volume, but
the participants are experts and will answer any question at all:
http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/

Max

Posted by Carlos <ca...@cvc.edu>.
Michael Kay wrote a book on XSLT for Wrox. I recommend it to anyone that is
interested in learning XSLT

Carlos

Once upon a time, "Christopher Cobb" was seen writting:

> What book/web site/tutorial/etc do people recommend for learning XSLT?
>
> Chris

---
P  |Carlos Araya
_  |WebCT Administrator/Trainer
G  |California Virtual Campus, Region 1
---- C/O De Anza College
10650 Bubb Road
Cupertino, CA 95014

mail:       carlos@cvc.edu
web:        http://www.cvc1.org (work)
            http://www.silverwolf-net.net (personal)
PGP Fingerprint:     E629 5DFD 7EAE 4995 E9D7  3D2F 5A9F 0CE7 DFE7 1756

You may not be able to change the whole world, but at least you can
embarrass the guilty.
-- Katha Pollitt

XSLT Book Recommendation

Posted by Christopher Cobb <cc...@phtek.com>.

Posted by Sergio Carvalho <se...@acm.org>.
I had core dumps of the Java VM after upgrading to Suse 7.2, because of a clash
with the new glibc. It might be what you are seeing. If it is, then the proposed
solution by Sun is to execute:
 ulimit -s 2048
before launching the java virtual machine. This limits the stack size, which was
the behaviour of the previous glibc.

Posted by java guru <ja...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi.,
  There were earlier reports of "segmentation fault"
on linux platform 'coz of sun jdk. Sun also have faq
on that issue and workaround..

Your problem may/maynot be related with that...try it
out..

Good luck

 --- "Lamb, Mark" <Ma...@spirent.com> wrote: > Hi
All,

> I am getting really frustrated trying to get Cocoon2
> to run under Tomcat4.
>
> I have a Linux Mandrake 8.0 machine with Java 1.3.1
> installed.
> Tomcat 4.0-b7 has been downloaded, installed and I
> have confirmed that it
> works correctly.
> Jakarta Ant 1.4.1 Beta 1 has been installed and is
> working.
> Cocoon2-b2 was downloaded.
> I modified cocoon2/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml so that
> the following lines appear
>

> <init-param>
>     <param-name>extra-classpath</param-name>

<param-value>/usr/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/common/lib/servlet.jar</para
> m-value>
> </init-param>
>
> I then built the cocoon app with the command
> ant -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp
>
> Finally I copy cocoon.war into $TOMCAT_HOME/webapp
> and start tomcat with the
> command 'catalina.sh run'.
>
> After a few moments, tomcat crashed with the
> following error:
>
> ./catalina.sh: line:170 16997 Segmentation fault
>  (core dumped)
> $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP
> -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME
> org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@"
> start
>
> I have had a look at catalina.sh and line 170 is the
> very last line in the
> script, so that doesnt help much.
>
> Has anyone seen this before or can anyone help me

> Mark.

> <co...@xml.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <co...@xml.apache.org>

=====
Thanks and have great day
srini

Re: Frustrated by Tomcat4 & Cocoon2

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
Hi Mark,

	The problem you are experiencing is a known problem with jdk1.3.1. It
	does not occur with jdk1.3.0. Nevertheless, there is a fix. Which is
	to add the string '-classic' to your $CATALINA_OPTS environment
	variable. This should fix the issue.

	Hope that helps mate.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Lamb, Mark wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am getting really frustrated trying to get Cocoon2 to run under Tomcat4.
>
> I have a Linux Mandrake 8.0 machine with Java 1.3.1 installed.
> Tomcat 4.0-b7 has been downloaded, installed and I have confirmed that it
> works correctly.
> Jakarta Ant 1.4.1 Beta 1 has been installed and is working.
> Cocoon2-b2 was downloaded.
> I modified cocoon2/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml so that the following lines appear
>

> <init-param>
>     <param-name>extra-classpath</param-name>
>
> <param-value>/usr/jakarta/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b7/common/lib/servlet.jar</para
> m-value>
> </init-param>
>
> I then built the cocoon app with the command
> ant -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp
>
> Finally I copy cocoon.war into $TOMCAT_HOME/webapp and start tomcat with the
> command 'catalina.sh run'.
>
> After a few moments, tomcat crashed with the following error:
>
> ./catalina.sh: line:170 16997 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
> $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $CATALINA_OPTS -classpath $CP
> -Dcatalina.home=$CATALINA_HOME org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap "$@"
> start
>
> I have had a look at catalina.sh and line 170 is the very last line in the
> script, so that doesnt help much.
>
> Has anyone seen this before or can anyone help me ...
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
          &&&&.        Business Hours : +49 69 9757 200
    &&&&&&&: