Posted to dev@cmda.apache.org by "Pan, Lei (398K)" <le...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2016/07/19 23:28:50 UTC

auto start not stable

Hi Qihao:

I have burned an EC2 image and am now testing
the auto start of our services. I found it to be unstable.

There are two steps in auto start: (1) the start of the
Docker container when the EC2 instance is launched;
and (2) the start of the CMU and JPL services, especially
the CMDA backend, when the Docker container is up.

The (1) step is still being tested, but at least every time
I reboot the EC2 instance, I get Docker player, though
sometimes it takes a long time.

The (2) is not stable. What I found is that when I manually
run the Docker instance, I do not always see the CMDA
backend started. Sometimes if I log in as svc to the
container, I may trigger the gunicorn process to be started,
other times no matter how many times I log in, I do not
see gunicorn proceses.

You can debug the issue using the following steps:
(1) Get on to the EC2 instance, from which I burned the image:
ssh -i climate-default.pem ubuntu@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
(2) stop the running container if any, by
docker ps
and
docker stop <container ID>
(3) run docker using the line found in

/etc/init.d/launch-cmac-docker.sh

which is the script used to automatically launch docker

(4) Point your browser to:

<http://ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9033/><http://ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9033/><http://ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9033/>

http://ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com:9033/

Go to any cmda service, such as twoDimMap, and try to run it.

(5) If you see “error!”, you can try to log in to the Docker container

ssh -p 8122 svc@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com

and type:

ps -aelf|grep python

to see if the gunicorn processes are there.

If they are there, then you can go back to your browser

to request cmda services again.

What I have seen is that sometimes after logging in, I

can see the gunicorn processes and the cmda services

are then up, but other times even if I log in many times,

I do not see the gunicorn processes. This is the instability

I mean. This puzzles me because you put in the line “sh start.sh”

in /home/svc/.bashrc, and it should be called every time I log

in as svc, correct?

Before asking you to check on this, I actually tried to use a different

way — upstart — to launch the cmda services. But unlike in the full

linux env, upstart does not seem to work in Docker. The service script

that I put under /etc/init/ did not work.

Thanks,

-Lei

Re: auto start not stable

Posted by "Pan, Lei (398K)" <le...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Qihao:

Here is the content of
/etc/init.d/launch-cmac-docker.sh
So the line does have “/bin/bash”
at the end. Please give it a try! Thanks, -Lei

!/bin/bash

export HOME="/home/ubuntu"

cd $HOME

. $HOME/.bash_profile

### sudo service docker start

### /bin/su - ubuntu

echo `whoami` > $HOME/mytest.log

### ls > $HOME/mytest.log

exec /usr/bin/docker run -d -t -p 9033:9033 -p 9034:9034 -p 8122:22 -p 8180:8880 -p 8090:8890 -p 8023:8023 -v /mnt/xvdf/data_2015:/mnt/data_2015  -i cmusvsc/jpl-summerschool2016:v1.0 /bin/bash

echo "from docker run 2" >> $HOME/mytest.log

From: Qihao Bao <qi...@cmu.edu>>
Date: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 at 4:41 PM
To: JPL <le...@jpl.nasa.gov>>
Cc: Jia Zhang <ji...@sv.cmu.edu>>, Seungwon Lee <Se...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, Benyang Tang <be...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "Zhai, Chengxing (398K)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>>, "dev@cmda.incubator.apache.org<ma...@cmda.incubator.apache.org>" <de...@cmda.incubator.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: auto start not stable

Hi Lei,

What's the command line that you used to start docker image inside of a VM?
I guess that's the issue.

I remembered i used something similar to
docker run -d -t -p 9033:9033 -p 9034:9034 -p 8122:22 -p 8180:8880 -p 8090:8890 -p 8023:8023 -v /mnt/xvdf/data_2015:/mnt/data_2015  -i cmusvsc/jpl-summerschool2016:v1.0 /bin/bash

The /bin/bash is needed to start a bash in the docker, which is necessary for auto start...

Qihao

ssh -i climate-default.pem ubuntu@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com<ma...@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>

ssh -p 8122 svc@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com<ma...@ec2-52-53-198-227.us-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>

Re: auto start not stable

Posted by Qihao Bao <qi...@cmu.edu>.
Lei,

I modified .bashrc in */root* folder.
I deleted 'sudo su svc' and appended 'su - svc -c "cd
/home/svc/new_github/JPL-WebService/JPL_CMDA/services/svc;sh start.sh"'.

Thanks

Re: auto start not stable

Posted by "Pan, Lei (398K)" <le...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Qihao: