Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Torusoft <de...@torusoft.com> on 2013/03/15 23:13:51 UTC

CouchDB for Mac 1.2.1 Binary will not load

Hi there,

We've downloaded and run the couchdb 1.2.1 binary for Mac.

After editing the bind_address field to the local IP of the server instead of 127.0.0.1, couchdb fails to start up.

We've removed the binary and downloaded a new one, but the same error occurs.  When we open the Apache CouchDB app, it displays an error saying the couchdb server had a problem.

Can you tell us how to remove whatever couchdb has installed so we can start over with a new binary?

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Chris Marriott  |  Direct: 902-442-9333  |  Sales: 902-442-9330  |  Support: 902-442-9331
www.torusoft.com  |  sales@torusoft.com  |  support@torusoft.com
1668 Barrington Street, Suite 600  Halifax, Nova Scotia  B3J 2A2  Canada

Re: CouchDB for Mac 1.2.1 Binary will not load

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Mar 17, 2013, at 22:13 , Troy Farrell <tr...@entheossoft.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Torusoft <de...@torusoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> We've downloaded and run the couchdb 1.2.1 binary for Mac.
>>
>> After editing the bind_address field to the local IP of the server instead
>> of 127.0.0.1, couchdb fails to start up.
>>
>> We've removed the binary and downloaded a new one, but the same error
>> occurs.  When we open the Apache CouchDB app, it displays an error saying
>> the couchdb server had a problem.
>>
>> Can you tell us how to remove whatever couchdb has installed so we can
>> start over with a new binary?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>

>> Chris
>>

> Hello Chris,
>
> I just edited Apache\
> CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/etc/couchdb/local.ini and set
> bind_address = 192.168.1.102.  When I restarted CouchDB, the application
> firewall asked me if I should allow beam.smp to accept connections.  Once I
> allowed it, everything seems to work.  I'm using OS X 10.7.5.
>
> Can you give us any additional information to help you troubleshoot the
> problem?

netstat -rn | grep 5984

Is there anything listening on 127.0.0.1:5984 already?

Can you paste the contents of Apache CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/var/log/couchdb/couch.log somewhere.

Jan

Re: CouchDB for Mac 1.2.1 Binary will not load

Posted by Troy Farrell <tr...@entheossoft.com>.
On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Torusoft <de...@torusoft.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We've downloaded and run the couchdb 1.2.1 binary for Mac.
>
> After editing the bind_address field to the local IP of the server instead
> of 127.0.0.1, couchdb fails to start up.
>
> We've removed the binary and downloaded a new one, but the same error
> occurs.  When we open the Apache CouchDB app, it displays an error saying
> the couchdb server had a problem.
>
> Can you tell us how to remove whatever couchdb has installed so we can
> start over with a new binary?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>

> Chris

 Hello Chris,

I just edited Apache\
CouchDB.app/Contents/Resources/couchdbx-core/etc/couchdb/local.ini and set
bind_address = 192.168.1.102.  When I restarted CouchDB, the application
firewall asked me if I should allow beam.smp to accept connections.  Once I
allowed it, everything seems to work.  I'm using OS X 10.7.5.

Can you give us any additional information to help you troubleshoot the
problem?

Thanks,
Troy

Re: CouchDB for Mac 1.2.1 Binary will not load

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 15 March 2013 23:13, Torusoft <de...@torusoft.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> We've downloaded and run the couchdb 1.2.1 binary for Mac.
>
> After editing the bind_address field to the local IP of the server instead
> of 127.0.0.1, couchdb fails to start up.
>
> We've removed the binary and downloaded a new one, but the same error
> occurs.  When we open the Apache CouchDB app, it displays an error saying
> the couchdb server had a problem.
>
> Can you tell us how to remove whatever couchdb has installed so we can
> start over with a new binary?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>

> Chris

Also you can check that beam.smp is allowed to accept incoming connections
in the OSX firewall.

I don't have 1.2.1 binary installed, but I'd guess somewhere like
'~/Library/Application Support/CouchDB/' is a good guess. Note that your db
files will also be here so don't go pruning willy-nilly.

The actual bind_address will be stored in local.ini so you can always
search for that (spotlight, or `find / -name local.ini`) and then edit it
directly, 0.0.0.0 is a reasonable choice. The default values are pulled in
from default.ini so you can simply remove the 'bind_address' line, or even
the whole 'httpd' section (unless you have other customisation) and it will
revert to the install-time defaults.

A+
Dave