Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Andrew Black <ab...@roguewave.com> on 2007/07/11 19:18:18 UTC

Usage of -AA vs -Aa with acc

Greetings Martin, all.

I've been looking at the acc.config file, and I'm curious as to the
reason we're using the -AA switch with aCC 5 and 6 (HPUX on IA64), but
using the -Aa switch for aCC 3 (HPUX on PARISC).

The reason I'm curious is because my understanding is that most
libraries are built using -AA, such as those provided by many database
vendors.  In addition, libraries built with -Aa are binary incompatible
with those built with -AA.

(As background for those unfamiliar with the compiler, the -AA and -Aa
switches enable recent ANSI C++ features like Koenig lookup, but differ
in the include paths and versions of libCsup used.)

--Andrew Black

Re: Usage of -AA vs -Aa with acc

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Sorry I've let this go so long. I've been hoping to do some
research into the issue but so far I haven't found the time.
IIRC, the decision to use -Aa was made in order to more easily
implement conforming C++ libc headers (i.e., the <cstdio> kind).
There is some problematic interaction between -AA and the +nostl
option we use to remove the native C++ standard library include
directory (include_std/) from the preprocessor search path. There
may have been other reasons that I don't recall. I think it would
make sense to use -AA and the compiler's own C++ libc headers
provided they conform, but switching will require some effort.
Can you please create an issue for this project?

Thanks
Martin