Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/04/06 17:49:49 UTC

Re: 1.1 repo/configstore

On Apr 6, 2006, at 6:26 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> So I just launched 1.1 and have a couple of questions...  So it
> looks like the repository now hosts both configurations and runtime/
> user jars.  This is really good but my concern is now that user
> apps are not located in a separate location and when looking for a
> given application I was overwhelmed and took me more time then it
> should to find my app.  So the question is would it be possible to
> provide multiple repositories and configurations would be deployed
> to it?  I'm not sure if this is possible or how complex it would be
> if it were possible and wether these multiple repo's could be made
> aware of each other.

We can organize the repos how every you want.  Just propose what you
want.

> Secondly is there an equivalent to index.properties?  If I wanted
> to uninstall an app, where can I find the fully qualified artifact ID?

No there is not an index.properties file.  As for how you get the
fully qualified artifact ID to uninstall an application, I think it
depends on how you got the application in the first place.  If you
know the directory in the repo, then you can work out the application
id from the directory structure.  If you got the application from a
running server, then you should already have the application id.

> Second question is that in 1.0 web apps were exploded so users if
> wanted could easily modify running content if they wanted.  This is
> no longer and I assume this is because both webcontainer have moved
> to using the configuation classloader is this assumption correct?

As you discovered they are directories.

On Apr 6, 2006, at 6:55 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:
> And just so I get my terminology straight... is the term "config-
> store" obsolete now? Or is there still a technical distinction
> between a config-store and repository?

At the filesystem level there is no config-store?  At least there
won't be one once someone mangages to remove it from the assembly
plugin maven.xml file.

-dain

Re: 1.1 repo/configstore

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
I think having the index.properties to know what configurations will
be started on launch was useful information.  I'd like to see a
replacement for this in some form or another, perhaps something like
what we discussed on one of the other threads yesterday having an xml
file perhaps listing useful information about each application like
the full configID, state, messages, etc..., so rather having to go to
the console we have single file that users could go to.

In addition as far as the repo structure... I think something simple
would suffice for now just to break apart user apps from system
configuration and libraries.

../G11/repository/
../G11/applications/

Perhaps there may be some value later down to break it down even
further... as to seperate system stuff/users stuff/libraries/
configurations like so...

../G1.1/system/repository/
../G1.1/system/applications/
../G1.1/usr/repository  (libraries)
../G1.1/usr/applications (actual configurations)

I'm not completely thrilled on this structure but hopefully it will
bring trigger other ideas..

thx

- sachin