Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Dmitriy Ryaboy <dv...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/01 06:42:02 UTC

Re: wrong sort order (lexical vs numeric) in a nested foreach

I tried to reproduce this and haven't been able to -- all my devious
attempts to get something that is actually a string to show up as an
int in "describe" wind up in class cast exceptions and blown up jobs
(not devious enough, clearly).

Can you give put together an example that reproduces the issue, and
let us know which version of pig you are running?

Thanks,
Dmitriy

Posted by Lauren Blau <la...@digitalreasoning.com>.
I think I finally found the culprit. There is a load like this:

a = load '/foobar' using CustomJsonLoader('baz') as (m:map[]);  -- loading
an untyped map

then there is a flatten,
a1 = foreach a generate a#'id' as id: chararray, flatten(a#'listvals') as
(listvals: map[]); -- another untyped map

and then

a2 = foreach a1 generate id as id: chararray, listvals#'intval1' as
intval1: int,listvals#'intval2' as intval2:int;

by putting an explicit cast as such:
a2 = foreach a1 generate id as id: chararray,(int) listvals#'intval1' as
intval1: int,(int)listvals#'intval2' as intval2:int;

I've finally got the results I was looking for, without having to store and
reload.

Thanks

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Lauren Blau <

Posted by Lauren Blau <la...@digitalreasoning.com>.