Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Tolles <to...@corp.earthlink.net> on 2003/09/30 00:54:45 UTC

Can't import apache ssl key to tomcat keystore

Thanks in advance,

We are trying to import an existing apache ssl crt/key into a tomcat
keystore.

First step was discover that the jdk1.4 / keytool does not support import a
private key into a keystore. (s this still true?)

Next step was to get the "importKey.jar" tool from Biocore and try that.

Two three ssl-keys have imported correctly. The third one however seems to
get broken.

Would anyone know of a more direct way to get an existing "apache
compatible" ssl key into a tomcat keystore?

Thanks for any help..

  - James

Re: Can't import apache ssl key to tomcat keystore

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
The Bicore utility has always worked for me.

Getting on-topic, I'm assuming that since you have an Apache cert, that you
have openssl installed.  The alternative method is to use openssl to
generate a pkcs12 file, and use that as your keystore.  Something like:
  openssl pkcs12 -export -chain -inkey server.key -in server.crt -name
tomcat \
              -out server.p12 -cafile ca.crt -caname root

Of course, if your server.crt is signed by Verisign (please, no flames :) or
Thwate, then you can omit the '-cafile' and '-caname' arguments, since JSSE
already knows about the signers.  Then in the Factory element (for Tomcat 4,
for Tomcat 5 it's the Connector element) set
'keystoreFile="/path/to/server.p12" keystoreType="pkcs12"'.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.