Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Martin Bukatovic <mb...@redhat.com> on 2015/06/05 18:36:34 UTC

deployment of bigtop stable release

Dear Bigtop user list,

I have a question about preferred way of using bigtop releases.

When I do not intend to build all hadoop packages provided by bigtop
myself, I
download packages or use repository for particular bigtop release (eg.
the last
one 0.8.0 or upcoming 1.0).

But to actually deploy hadoop on any cluster, I also need puppet
manifests and
other files which are part of the release but not included in the packages
(which is completelly fine). To get those files, I would expect that I'm
supposed to use version which from the release as well, which means to
download source tarball or clone repository and checkout into proper release
tag.

On the other hand, this doesn't match what's written in the bigtop cwiki:

 *
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+BigTop+0.8.0+hadoop+on+bare+metal+%28or+cloud%29+CentOS+-+with+puppet
 *
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/How+to+install+BigTop+0.7.0+hadoop+on+CentOS+with+puppet

It states that I should use puppet 3 when installing release 0.8.0 (but that
is not necessary since this is true since BIGTOP-1047 which not part of that
release) or to clone bigtop git without checking release branch.

Jay told me that it's better to just build myself from git which I agree
with.
I was always using the current master and plan to do in the future, but I'm
puzzled what makes more sense when I decide to use the release
(to better understand how components fits together without being
hurt by moving parts).

Btw a bit unrelated, I have published my raw notes here:

https://gist.github.com/mbukatov/7ec73ae3a7eaa73a3135

and I would be able to polish it to replace current cwiki page mentioned
above
which is bit short right now.

--
Martin Bukatovic

Re: deployment of bigtop stable release

Posted by Martin Bukatovic <mb...@redhat.com>.
On 06/09/2015 04:10 AM, jay vyas wrote:
> @martin i like the idea of creating a wiki page for what you did with
> bigtop 0.8 ... But probably we don't really have a policy on this stuff,
> ...  because most bigtop users are comfortable trading in the sharp
> edges so that they can build all the bits on their own from scratch.

Ok, good. I have created BIGTOP-1895 with proposed wikipage.
Also you can check it here:

https://gist.github.com/mbukatov/7ec73ae3a7eaa73a3135

--
Martin Bukatovic
RHS/Hadoop QE Team

Re: deployment of bigtop stable release

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
@martin i like the idea of creating a wiki page for what you did with
bigtop 0.8 ... But probably we don't really have a policy on this stuff,
...  because most bigtop users are comfortable trading in the sharp edges
so that they can build all the bits on their own from scratch.

In general, we usually do this
- grab the RPMs/DEBs from jenkins, along with bigtop master.
- run puppet deploy.
If anything fails (i.e. if the RPMs are behind from the puppet recipes in
master),
we usually can just build the packages from master ourself using docker
containers, test w/ vagrant up and the --use-local-yum=true option.

thats the most common scenario and probably the most important, given that
in general its  ok if bigtop is kind of a bleeding edge distribution for
most peoples needs.

I know thats kind of a lazy cop-out of an answer, but its probably
reasonably close to the current culture we have around here :)

--
jay vyas

Re: deployment of bigtop stable release

Posted by Martin Bukatovic <mb...@redhat.com>.