Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Thomson <th...@pcug.org.au> on 2003/11/15 05:52:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache for windows - DNS, server name help please

G'day,

I'm new to W2000 server. I fired up the install process for Apache on W2000 & was prompted for Network domain name, server name & admin email details.

The PC I am using is a stand alone machine for an Apache, Tomcat, JSP, & database exercise. I only have one entry in the network & dial up connections panel for access to my ISP via a modem.

Could some one please advise on how I should configure the W2000 network settings, etc in order to install Apache.

Regards,

Clyde Thomson

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for windows - DNS, server name help please

Posted by bvr <bv...@xs4all.nl>.

bvr wrote:

> Any valid W2000 configuration will do.
>
> Apache's configuration resides in a file called 'http.conf' which can be

oops, it is httpd.conf

also setting up a valid DNS is indead necessary but if you just want to
run a local testserver i suggest you use the special DNS name
'localhost' as servername

Re: [users@httpd] Apache for windows - DNS, server name help please

Posted by bvr <bv...@xs4all.nl>.
Any valid W2000 configuration will do.

Apache's configuration resides in a file called 'http.conf' which can be
found in your Apache installation directory.

On the httpd.apache.org website you'll find plenty of documentation
about how to configure Apache, try to look for docs about 'installation'
first.