Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Frank Burns <fr...@the-hub.demon.co.uk> on 2005/03/13 00:44:25 UTC

Why doesn't JSP precompilation solve this problem?

I'm using Tomcat v5.0.28 and have built a Struts-based application, using
Tiles, to construct the web pages.

When I deploy the application, and I newly visit each page, all of the text
is displayed but the other visual elements (such as font-sizes, table
layouts, colours, and other formatting set by CSS)appear "broken".

When I'm developing the pages and want to check that they are visually
correct, I lose a lot of time having to re-hit the pages -- sometimes up to
twenty times before they will render properly -- and it's driving me
bonkers!

I thought the problem might have something to do with the fact that the JSPs
have to be compiled by Tomcat (Jasper) when they are first accessed.
However, I now precompile all of my JSPs before deploying the application
but exactly the same problems occur.

I have no idea why this is happening.

Can anyone explain why?

And, especially, can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

Sincerely,

Frank Burns.

Re: Why doesn't JSP precompilation solve this problem?

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Sounds odd.

For debugging - try using Mozilla (or Firefox). For Mozilla there is a
utility for viewing the header sent and received. Firefox also has one called
the webdeveloper toobar which can also do the same.

Try loading the css files (or other broken assets) and check the responses
being sent and received to find "sketchy" activity.

-Tim