Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by David Wynter <da...@roamware.com> on 2002/09/30 13:17:39 UTC

Has anyone deployed a Turbine 2.1 app on Tomcat 4.1.12?

Hi,

To overcome a IllegalStateException when using Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat
4.0.4 I was advised to upgrade to the latest Apache and Tomcat. So on my
linux box I have Apache 2.0.42 and Tomcat 4.1.12. I redirect from the index
page on apache to my servlet
( in head <meta http-equiv="Refresh"
content="0;url=http://www.roamware.com:8080/rwsite/servlet/rwsite/template">
then on <body
onload="location='http://www.roamware.com:8080.rwsite/servlet/rwsite/templat
e';">

I am not using a connector.

But unlike on 4.0.4 I get a 404 error. I have tried all variations of URL
including the full URL including the index.vm at the end with no result. I
can see in the logs that Tomcat unpacks the WAR and I checked the full set
of file is there. This WAR is the same as that that worked with 4.0.4

Ideas?

David Wynter

roamware Ltd.
(+44) (0) 208 922 7539 B.
(+44) (0) 7879 605 706 M.
david@roamware.com

Re: Has anyone deployed a Turbine 2.1 app on Tomcat 4.1.12?

Posted by Jeffrey Gehrung <je...@yahoo.com>.
David,

I just migrated a Turbine app from tomcat 4.0.3 to
4.1.12.  Had a similar 404 problem.  My logs showed
classes loading but the Turbine servlet was nto
executing. If I'd read the 4.1.12 Realease notes
regarding security, it's have save some headaches and
time.

Basically, version 4.1.12 of Tomcat does not activate
its servlet and CGI handlers by default.  You must
enable them !!!  See RELEASE-NOTES-4.1.txt,
particularly:

----------------------------
Enabling SSI and CGI Support:
----------------------------

Having CGI and SSI available to web applications
created security problems when
using a security manager (as a malicious web
application could use them to
sidestep the security manager access control). In
Tomcat 4.1, they have been
disabled by default, as our goal is to provide a fully
secure default
configuration. However, CGI and SSI remain available.

On Unix (LINUX):
* rename the file
$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-cgi.renametojar to
  $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-cgi.jar.
* rename the file
$CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-ssi.renametojar to
  $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib/servlets-ssi.jar.
* in $CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml, uncomment the
servlet declarations starting
  line 165 and 213, as well as the associated servlet
mappings
  line 265 and 274. Alternately, these servlet
declarations and mappings can
  be added to your web application deployment
descriptor.

1:
services.VelocityService.file.resource.loader.path =
/templates/app,/templates/flux
--- David Wynter <da...@roamware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To overcome a IllegalStateException when using
> Apache 1.3.23 and Tomcat
> 4.0.4 I was advised to upgrade to the latest Apache
> and Tomcat. So on my
> linux box I have Apache 2.0.42 and Tomcat 4.1.12. I
> redirect from the index
> page on apache to my servlet
> ( in head <meta http-equiv="Refresh"

content="0;url=http://www.roamware.com:8080/rwsite/servlet/rwsite/template">
> then on <body

onload="location='http://www.roamware.com:8080.rwsite/servlet/rwsite/templat
> e';">
>
> I am not using a connector.
>
> But unlike on 4.0.4 I get a 404 error. I have tried
> all variations of URL
> including the full URL including the index.vm at the
> end with no result. I
> can see in the logs that Tomcat unpacks the WAR and
> I checked the full set
> of file is there. This WAR is the same as that that
> worked with 4.0.4
>
> Ideas?
>

> David Wynter
>
> roamware Ltd.
> (+44) (0) 208 922 7539 B.
> (+44) (0) 7879 605 706 M.
> david@roamware.com

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

=====
Jeff Gehrung (Sr. Programmer Analyst)
Holstein Association USA
Brattleboro VT  05302
802.451.4146
jgehrung@holstein.com
jeffgehrung@yahoo.com
I'm told "42" answers most ?s.

Re: Has anyone deployed a Turbine 2.1 app on Tomcat 4.1.12?

Posted by rh...@telerama.com.
You need to uncomment the invoker servlet in the web.xml file in your conf
directory.