Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/15 08:23:41 UTC

[action1] Which webapp dtds to include in struts-core.jar?

Do we need to include webapp-2_2.dtd in struts-core.jar?  I deleted it
as part of the reorganization [1], so only the webapp 2.3 dtd remains.
 Should we include the one for 2.4 as well?

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=394264&view=rev

Wendy

Re: [action1] Which webapp dtds to include in struts-core.jar?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On 4/15/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/14/06, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Do we need to include webapp-2_2.dtd in struts-core.jar?  I deleted it
> > as part of the reorganization [1], so only the webapp 2.3 dtd remains.
> > Should we include the one for 2.4 as well?
>

> We need the 2.2 DTD if Struts continues to support Servlet 2.2.  We should
> also definitely include the 2.4 DTD, as that is now a popular platform.  To
> make the inclusion effective, though, we'll also want to make sure it gets
> registered with the Digester that processes config files -- otherwise,
> including it will not make any difference.

Since we decided that Struts 1.3 would have a minimum dependency of
Servlet 2.3 then we shouldn't include the 2,2 DTD as it will only lead
to confusion and imply that we are supporting Servlet 2.2.

Niall

Re: [action1] Which webapp dtds to include in struts-core.jar?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/14/06, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> We should
> also definitely include the 2.4 DTD, as that is now a popular platform.  To
> make the inclusion effective, though, we'll also want to make sure it gets
> registered with the Digester that processes config files -- otherwise,
> including it will not make any difference.

Oops.  For 2.4, it's a schema, not a dtd.  Does that change the answer?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

> Do we need to include webapp-2_2.dtd in struts-core.jar?  I deleted it
> as part of the reorganization [1], so only the webapp 2.3 dtd remains.
> Should we include the one for 2.4 as well?

We need the 2.2 DTD if Struts continues to support Servlet 2.2.  We should
also definitely include the 2.4 DTD, as that is now a popular platform.  To
make the inclusion effective, though, we'll also want to make sure it gets
registered with the Digester that processes config files -- otherwise,
including it will not make any difference.

Separately, I'm ready (gulp!) to start moving Shale towards Maven2, and it's
recommended soure directory organizations ... as long as you
have-a-clue-about-Maven gurus promise to stand by my side and help :-).  I
had a question about the "resources" directories in the organization
recommended by Maven.  Does that include resource bundles for localization
(which are normally placed somewhere in the "src/java" hierarchy currently),
or is it just for "configuration" files?

It shouldn't be too hard to remodel the existing organization and update the
relevant Ant build.xml files, as a move towards forwards compatibility with
the recommended structure.  In terms of timing, though, my efforts will
likely be after next week ... on Sunday I get on a plane for a couple of
days in St. Petersburg, Russia (just when I got used to it being springtime,
back to mixed rain and snow showers).  But it makes a lot of sense to
migrate the internal organization of the Shale source repositories now, to
make the ultimate conversion easier.  Anyone else who wants to help in this
is, of course, welcome to have at it.

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?rev=394264&view=rev

> Wendy

Craig