Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Tomas Stenlund <to...@telia.com> on 2010/08/21 12:39:51 UTC

Cayenne 3.0 and DataViews/DVModeler

Hi,

as I have understood the dataviews and dvmodeler has been cut out of th
cayenne project and is no longer maintained. Nevertheless I have kind of
fallen in love with cayenne during my evaluation of it and also would
like to have a look at dataviews and dvmodeler to see if it fits my
needs. I understand that this is the user forum for cayenne but maybe
someone can at least point me onwards if so.

So, therefore I have compiled the dataview/dvmodeler svn source on my
machine. So far so good, no problems.

But when I try to open up one of my cayenne 3.0 projects in dvmodeler no
objentities are shown and no errors are shown. I started to debug the
dvmodeler and found out that it fails to find the children (obj-entity)
of the data-map node.

CayenneProject.java

List elements = elem.getChildren("obj-entity");

It fails because the XXXXXXmap.xml file has a
xmlns="http://cayenne.apache.org/schema/3.0/modelMap" causing the
getChildren above to fail. If I change the getChildren call to also
include the namespace it works or if I remove the xmlns from the
XXXmap.xml file. Then I can work with dvmodeler.

So far so good, but when I reload the project into CayenneModeler it
rewrites the namespace again and also removes any dataviews in the
cayenne.xml. So, I need to have different configurationfiles for
cayennemodeler and dvmodeler.

So now to my question, does anyone have any thoughts on starting to
maintain dataviews/dvmodeler ?

If there are no such plans yet, If I find any changes/corrections due to
bugs or whatever that I would like to make during my evaluation of this,
are there anyone maintaining the dvmodeler svn source or do I keep those
changes to my self :-)

Is anyone using dataviews with 3.0 ?

Cheers and thanks for a very interesting framework,

Tomas

Re: Cayenne 3.0 and DataViews/DVModeler

Posted by Tomas Stenlund <to...@telia.com>.
Just as an info,

I did as you told me Andrus and changed the code and created a new
dataview.xml file (which from now on is the dvmodeler project file)
containing the dataview related stuff, fixed the namespace problem and
dvmodeler now never touches the cayenne files (well reads them of
course). So now I can run them both without interferring with each other
and I can now try out the dvmodeler, dataviews and cayenne independantly.

Yeah, I know it's quick and dirty, but just so I could ge on trying this
a bit further.

dataview.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
<cayenne location="cayenne.xml" />
<dataviews>
<dataview name="dataview0" location="dataview0.view.xml" />
</dataviews>
</configuration>

cayenne.xml, *.map.xml and *.driver.xml is never touched.

Cheers,

Tomas

Posted by Tomas Stenlund <to...@telia.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Tomas,

Posted by Tomas Stenlund <to...@telia.com>.
Ooops,

Posted by Adrian Wiesmann <aw...@somap.org>.
> There was
> someone who was very interested in supporting it as a project, but I
> haven't heard what came of that.

That was probably me. We started with DV on a project and very much
loved it. But we wanted a way to design whole forms and have some logic
in there. Unfortunately the current state of DV did only allow for
single tables (we extended this to some simple forms some time, but we
never went further).

We realised that we need something with which we could design not only
lists but whole frames. And we knew we'd need something for web apps as
well as for "native" java applications. So we designed and implemented
Gozer.

Gozer is something like a cheap Xul for Cayenne. It contains some Xul
concepts, but also some concepts from DV. Basically you design frames in
XML. That XML file contains layout and binding information. A renderer
then takes that definition and renders into the format you need.
Including the binding, events and everything. We have already
implemented a Swing, Wicket, PDF and Excel renderer (to different
extends). We are quite happy with what we have and would be more than
willing to walk interested parties through the concept/code. While Gozer
currently is part of our application, we always planned for using Gozer
as an external library so that others could use (and extend) it as well.

So ping me if you'd like to hear more.

Cheers,
Adrian

Re: Cayenne 3.0 and DataViews/DVModeler

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 21/08/10 8:39 PM, Tomas Stenlund wrote:
> If there are no such plans yet, If I find any changes/corrections due to bugs or whatever that I would like to make during my evaluation of this, are there anyone maintaining the dvmodeler svn source or do I keep those changes to my self :-)
>
> Is anyone using dataviews with 3.0 ?

Although there is no one in the existing Cayenne development team who has the interest and time to look after dataviews, that certainly doesn't preclude anyone else from adopting it as a project. There was someone who was very interested in supporting it as a project, but I haven't heard what came of that.

I would suggest that if you want to adopt the project and work on it, take it over to somewhere like github/sourceforge/etc where you can continue to run the development in the open. If there are things you need from the Cayenne core to make ongoing development possible, then please don't hesitate to pipe up on the Cayenne dev list. Keep the Apache license and it may be able to return to the Cayenne project if you are able to sustain the development.

As for the XML schema, I recommend you keep your data in a separate file.

Good luck with it.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis