Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2008/09/25 18:22:38 UTC

Bikeshed: "T" or "C" for tree conflict status [Re: svn commit: r33288 - in trunk/subversion: svn tests/cmdline tests/cmdline/svntest]

Julian Foad wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 09:34 -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> julianfoad@tigris.org wrote:
>>> Author: julianfoad
>>> Date: Wed Sep 24 23:32:16 2008
>>> New Revision: 33288
>>>
>>> Log:
>>> In "svn status", report tree conflict status on each victim individually.
>>> (For the time being, we still also report the parent as having tree-conflicted
>>> children.) In the test suite, adjust a test that looks at this status output
>>> directly. Provide support for this new status character to be tested using an
>>> attribute of StateItem, which will be the normal way to test it, but make the
>>> testing of this attribute optional and do not make any tests request it yet.
>>>
>>> * subversion/svn/status.c
>>>   (print_status): Print "T" in the tree status column if this is a tree
>>>     conflict victim.
>> How about printing a "C" in that column instead.  I think people are pretty used
>> to seeing a "C" to mean conflict.  And "T" can appear in the sixth lock column
>> which will make it harder to distinguish if I have a tree conflict or a stolen
>> lock without counting columns.
>
> How about it? Sure, it's a fair option. It might well be better.
> Suggestion noted, and I think I agree. I'll be happy to change it when
> there's a consensus. Until then it's a bike-shed that requires changes
> in a few places in the test suite and a test-build each time we change
> it, so I'll avoid hasty action.

OK.  Changing the subject to make this thread more visible.  Anytime there's
bikeshed in the title, I'm sure we'll get lots of feedback. :)

Blair

Re: Bikeshed: "T" or "C" for tree conflict status [Re: svn commit: r33288 - in trunk/subversion: svn tests/cmdline tests/cmdline/svntest]

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> Julian Foad wrote:
>> On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 09:34 -0700, Blair Zajac wrote:
>>> How about printing a "C" in that column instead.  I think people are
>>> pretty used to seeing a "C" to mean conflict.  And "T" can appear in
>>> the sixth lock column which will make it harder to distinguish if I
>>> have a tree conflict or a stolen lock without counting columns.
>>
>> How about it? Sure, it's a fair option. It might well be better.
>> Suggestion noted, and I think I agree. I'll be happy to change it when
>> there's a consensus. Until then it's a bike-shed that requires changes
>> in a few places in the test suite and a test-build each time we change
>> it, so I'll avoid hasty action.
>
> OK.  Changing the subject to make this thread more visible.  Anytime
> there's bikeshed in the title, I'm sure we'll get lots of feedback. :)

I refuse to respond to yet another bikeshed thread.

Oh.  Shoot.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>