Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by robpd <Ro...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2011/10/18 02:18:35 UTC

SimpleKMeansCLustering - "Failed to set permissions of path to 0700"

Hi

I am new to Mahout and Hadoop. I'm currently trying to get the
SimpleKMeansClustering example from the Maout in Action book to work. I am
running the whole thing from under cygwin from a sh script (in which I
explicitly add the necessary jars to the classpath).

Unfortunately I get...

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of
path: file:/tmp/hadoop-Rob/mapred/staging/Rob1823346078/.staging to 0700
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.checkReturnValue(RawLocalFileSystem.java:525)
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.setPermission(RawLocalFileSystem.java:499)
at
org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.mkdirs(RawLocalFileSystem.java:318)
at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.mkdirs(FilterFileSystem.java:183)
at
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmissionFiles.getStagingDir(JobSubmissionFiles.java:116)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:797)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:791)
at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAs(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:1059)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:791)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.submit(Job.java:465)
at org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.Job.waitForCompletion(Job.java:494)
at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansDriver.runIteration(KMeansDriver.java:362)
at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansDriver.buildClustersMR(KMeansDriver.java:310)
at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansDriver.buildClusters(KMeansDriver.java:237)
at
org.apache.mahout.clustering.kmeans.KMeansDriver.run(KMeansDriver.java:152)
at kmeans.SimpleKMeansClustering.main(Unknown Source)

This is presumably because, although I am running under cygwin, Windows will
not allow a change of privilege like this? I have done the following to
address the problem, but without any success...

a) Ensure I started Hadoop prior to running the program (start-all.sh)

b) Edited the Hadoop conf file hdfs-site.xml to switch off the file
permissions in HDFS....

<property>
<name>dfs.permissions</name>
<value>false</value>
</property>

c) I issues a hadoop fs -chmod +rwx -R /tmp to ensure that everyone was
allowed to write to anything under tmp

I'd be very grateful of some help here if you have some ideas. Sorry if I am
being green about things. It does seem like there's lots to learn.

Re: SimpleKMeansCLustering - "Failed to set permissions of path to 0700"

Posted by Raj Vishwanathan <ra...@yahoo.com>.
Can you run any map/reduce jobs suchas word count?
Raj

Sent from my iPad
Please excuse the typos.