Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by A Geek <dw...@live.com> on 2013/03/30 17:15:30 UTC

How to optimize live production server SOLR Index

Hi All, I'm pretty new to SOLR. Currently I'm using SOLR 4.0 version and we've two indexes one with size around 30Gig and another with size 180 Gig . Each contains more than a million records. I was wondering what is the best way to optimize the Index, and keep serving to user request and also while the backend indexer keeps adding new documents through SOLR commits. Please share your ideas and opinions, any precaution to be taken while running the optimize etc.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,DK

Re: How to optimize live production server SOLR Index

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Unless you have a strong reason to optimize it, don't do it. :)  Check
http://search-lucene.com/?q=solr+wunder+optimize (hi Wunder!)

Also, if you are using Solr in SolrCloud mode, you may want to move to
Solr 4.2.x - we found Solr 4.0 in SoldCloud mode to be problematic.

Otis
--
Solr & ElasticSearch Support
http://sematext.com/