Posted to dev@falcon.apache.org by Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com> on 2014/11/14 11:59:06 UTC

[DISCUSS] Minimum hadoop version supported

Hi All,
    Since we moved to standard distcp version in hadoop-2.5, it has become impossible to move to any earlier version of hadoop within falcon. To revert back to a custom distribution isn't all that healthy and we are missing out on improvements being made there. Though restrictive, it is seemingly difficult to support hadoop versions earlier than 2.5. @Venkatesh Seetharam has highlighted the same in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-824. Unless anyone has any reservations, we should unblock FALCON-824 and release of 0.6 with known limitation that it will only support 2.5 and above.

Going forward, we have to act with utmost care when it comes to version bumps of any dependent components and undertake them only after weighing in the effects.

Regards
Srikanth Sundarrajan

Re: [DISCUSS] Minimum hadoop version supported

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
+1. But DistCp cleanup had to be done and was lingering with intermittent
issues running in the container. We have had a fix into custom distcp in
0.5 when APIs had changed and was very fragile anyways.

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 2:59 AM, Srikanth Sundarrajan <sr...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>     Since we moved to standard distcp version in hadoop-2.5, it has become
> impossible to move to any earlier version of hadoop within falcon. To
> revert back to a custom distribution isn't all that healthy and we are
> missing out on improvements being made there. Though restrictive, it is
> seemingly difficult to support hadoop versions earlier than 2.5. @Venkatesh
> Seetharam has highlighted the same in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FALCON-824. Unless anyone has any
> reservations, we should unblock FALCON-824 and release of 0.6 with known
> limitation that it will only support 2.5 and above.
>
> Going forward, we have to act with utmost care when it comes to version
> bumps of any dependent components and undertake them only after weighing in
> the effects.
>
> Regards
> Srikanth Sundarrajan

Venkatesh