Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/09 02:42:38 UTC

[all] commons-parent-13 problems

Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
now fail. I'm looking into this to see whether its something we can
fix in the components or whether we need to downgrade the site plugin
version.

I have reverted the maven-bundle-plugin version to 1.4.3 and the
maven-remote-resources-plugin to 1.0 (version 1.1 inherited from
apache parent 7) - this restores JDK 1.4 compatibility for "mvn
package/install".

maven-site-plugin 2.1 requires maven 2.1 to run (which AFAIK needs JDK
1.5) - so currently the site won't generate using JDK 1.4 - reverting
to 2.0.1 of the site plugin is required to run under JDK 1.4 - do we
need that?

Also I noticed in the apache parent the following comment for the
maven-javadoc-plugin:
   "NOTE: 2.6.x is generally unusuable due to MJAVADOC-275"
    http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-275

So probably we should revert to 2.5 for the javadoc plugin

Niall

Re: [all] commons-parent-13 problems

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:15 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
>>  >>  >> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
>>  >>  >> now fail. I'm looking into this to see whether its something we can
>>  >>  >> fix in the components or whether we need to downgrade the site plugin
>>  >>  >> version.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >> I have reverted the maven-bundle-plugin version to 1.4.3 and the
>>  >>  >> maven-remote-resources-plugin to 1.0 (version 1.1 inherited from
>>  >>  >> apache parent 7) - this restores JDK 1.4 compatibility for "mvn
>>  >>  >> package/install".
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > Did you give the animal-sniffer a try?
>>  >>
>>  >>
>>  >> No, but this is more Sebb's thing. I think its still a good idea to
>>  >>  build/test on the target JDK when checking out a release. Which is
>>  >>  what I did for Lang 2.5 and Beanutiles 1.8.x
>>  >
>>  > I am working on a fix for the parent pom which allows the compile &
>>  > test to be run under a different JVM than Maven itself.
>>  >
>>  > The proposed fix is to add profiles for Java 1.3 and Java 1.4 (even
>>  > Java 1.5); these profiles are used to tweak the compiler and surefire
>>  > plugin configurations.
>>

>> I haven't tried this out but perhaps it could be done with one new
>>  profile and four properties. In the new profile in the parent pom use
>>  something like:
>>
>>      <plugin>
>>        <artifactId>maven-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
>>        <configuration>
>>          <executable>${commons.java.home}/bin/javac</executable>
>>        </configuration>
>>      </plugin>
>>
>>  In a component that requires JDK 1.3 have:
>>     <properties>
>>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_3_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>>     </properties>
>>
>>  In a component that requires JDK 1.4 have:
>>     <properties>
>>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_4_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>>     </properties>
>>
>>  In a component that requires JDK 1.5 have:
>>     <properties>
>>         <commons.java.home>${JAVA_1_5_HOME}</commons.java.home>
>>     </properties>
>>
>>  Then locally developers just need to configure JAVA_1_3_HOME,
>>  JAVA_1_4_HOME, JAVA_1_5_HOME in their settings.xml and they can then
>>  build the component with the target JDK version.
>>

> One of the problems is that the Surefire plugin needs to run under the
> target version of Java; this means downgrading the version for Java
> 1.3.
>
> Also, by having separate profiles for each JVM version, one can build
> LANG with Java 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5 whilst running Maven under Java 1.6.
>
> Furthermore, there is no need to update the component poms.

Good points.

Niall

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Niall,

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Gary Gregory
<GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> [...]

Yes.

Niall

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-03-10 18:49, Gary Gregory wrote:
> [...]

You can, but you need to make sure that your code doesn't use features
that was introduced in a version of Java that is greater than the one
you are targeting. One way to this is to use a tool called Animal
Sniffer [1] to inspect your code and failing it if it find something
suspicious. I haven't yet used the tool myself.

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/animal-sniffer-maven-plugin/

>>> Also I noticed in the apache parent the following comment for the
>>> maven-javadoc-plugin:
>>>    "NOTE: 2.6.x is generally unusuable due to MJAVADOC-275"
>>>     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-275
>>>
>>> So probably we should revert to 2.5 for the javadoc plugin
>>>
>>> Niall

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg

RE: [all] commons-parent-13 problems

Posted by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
On 2010-03-09 02:42, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
> now fail. I'm looking into this to see whether its something we can
> fix in the components or whether we need to downgrade the site plugin
> version.
>
> I have reverted the maven-bundle-plugin version to 1.4.3 and the
> maven-remote-resources-plugin to 1.0 (version 1.1 inherited from
> apache parent 7) - this restores JDK 1.4 compatibility for "mvn
> package/install".
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=920607
>
> maven-site-plugin 2.1 requires maven 2.1 to run (which AFAIK needs JDK
> 1.5) - so currently the site won't generate using JDK 1.4 - reverting
> to 2.0.1 of the site plugin is required to run under JDK 1.4 - do we
> need that?

Maven 2.1.0 is the last version of Maven to run under Java 1.4. But as
has already been noted Maven 2.1.0 has other problems.

> Also I noticed in the apache parent the following comment for the
> maven-javadoc-plugin:
>    "NOTE: 2.6.x is generally unusuable due to MJAVADOC-275"
>     http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-275
>
> So probably we should revert to 2.5 for the javadoc plugin
>
> Niall

Dennis Lundberg

Re: [all] commons-parent-13 problems

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 5:12 PM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> Spoke too soon.  DBCP and math are now both broken (using maven
>> 2.2.1), giving:
>>
>> [Fatal Error] configuration_1_1.dtd:1:3: The markup declarations
>> contained or pointed to by the document type declaration must be
>> well-formed.
>> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup declarations contained or
>> pointed to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.
>>        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
>>        at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
>>        at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:124)
>>        at
>> net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleSetNode(RuleSetFactory.java:190)
>
> I suspect this is related to the same problem with the site-plugin -
> which I believe is caused by the new version of doxia. We could fix
> this by removing the PMD report  - but I think its better to downgrade
> the site plugin version and do another release of commons parent.
>
>> I also notice now that as you say below, nothing now works using
>> maven 2.0.x.  I use 2.0.10 to build dbcp 1.3.x.
>
> It does now with commons-parent 14-SNAPSHOT which has restored compatibility.
>
> I checkout the DBCP 1.3 branch, changed the DBCP's pom.xml to use
> commons-parent 14-SNAPSHOT and ran "site" and "install" using JDK 1.4
> and Maven 2.0.11 and ir worked OK. So I think we need to release
> commons parent.

+1

Phil

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
>>> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
>>> now fail.
>> I fixed DBCP.  Will look at the others.

Spoke too soon.  DBCP and math are now both broken (using maven
2.2.1), giving:

[Fatal Error] configuration_1_1.dtd:1:3: The markup declarations
contained or pointed to by the document type declaration must be
well-formed.
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The markup declarations contained or
pointed to by the document type declaration must be well-formed.
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderImpl.parse(Unknown Source)
	at javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilder.parse(DocumentBuilder.java:124)
	at
net.sourceforge.pmd.RuleSetFactory.parseRuleSetNode(RuleSetFactory.java:190)

I also notice now that as you say below, nothing now works using
maven 2.0.x.  I use 2.0.10 to build dbcp 1.3.x.  I can't remember

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Niall Pemberton
<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> Unfortunately the upgrade of the maven-site-plugin from 2.0.1 to 2.1
>>> has caused the site generation for Chain, Configuration and DBCP to
>>> now fail.
>>
>> I fixed DBCP.  Will look at the others.
>
> Commons Chain is because the cookbook.xml has two examples in the docs
> which include <!DOCTYPE> elements - they're in CDATA sections and so
> should be ignored - looks like a bug to me. Configuration is the same
> - the userguide/howto_xml.xml also has an example showing a <!DOCTYPE>
> element. This looks like a maven bug in the latest site plugin.

I've raised a JIRA issue for this:

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-464

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.