Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2012/05/08 22:18:47 UTC

Troll warning

Just another warning to not feed the trolls. Now that AOOo 3.4
has been announced, we are starting to see some really untoward
behavior by some of the more vocal LO people.

Just let them go... the world will see that it's those people
who are fighting against cooperation between LO and AOOo and,
hopefully, wiser and saner minds will prevail.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
Oh dear, this is starting to feel like meta-trolling.  Let's move on,
please....

--tim

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On May 8, 2012, at 4:32 PM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 8 May 2012, at 21:18,  wrote:
>
>> Just another warning to not feed the trolls. Now that AOOo 3.4
>> has been announced, we are starting to see some really untoward
>> behavior by some of the more vocal LO people.
>>
>> Just let them go... the world will see that it's those people
>> who are fighting against cooperation between LO and AOOo and,
>> hopefully, wiser and saner minds will prevail.
>
> Do you have specifics, Jim? I've not seen any, just messages of congratulations[1]. If you forward me links I'll make sure the TDF Membership Committee takes a look.

Yes, I do. But I'd prefer to not share them. All one needs to
do is simply spend a minute on GOOG.

> I'm sure you're already aware, but there's is a problem in the other direction[2] that I'm sure you'll want to act on.

Yes, I will.... just searching where he specifically states that he's
saying such with his AOOo hat on and where, exactly, he is being troll-like.
Maybe he is simply trying to prevent his work from being
mis-represented. Or are you objecting to him exercising his
freedom in choosing how his info can be used?

Nah, it couldn't be the latter, since that would imply that
you would be more supportive of a codebase, such as LO, being
under a more permissive license, like maybe the ALv2, so anyone
and everyone could use it as they wish... like how AOOo is, and
LO isn't.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> here are a small number of active, vocal and
> negative people at LibreOffice who like to beat up on OpenOffice and
> the work we do here.  They make a lot of noise, but 90% of their FUD
> just expired when AOO 3.4 was released.  And the remainder of their
> FUD will expire in a week or two when Symphony is contributed to
> Apache.   So it is almost not worth arguing with them at this point,
> since they are "still fighting the last war".  We need to move on, and
> talk about AOO 4.0, and the things that will really excite our users.

Agree wholeheartedly.

FC

Re: Troll warning

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
    Actually, I heard people very excited, talking about the release of
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.  I suppose I do not need to care about
LibreOffice anymore.  Someone asked me the question:  "What about
LibreOffice?"  I have nothing to answer.  I think it reveals the
pressure on the LibreOffice side.

    As I said, the only real problem we had was that we have no release
yet.  Once we have our first release, the problem is gone.

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>

Re: Troll warning

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 13:01 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > The important thing is to maintain a generosity towards others and not to be drawn into argument with them about the pros and cons of their/our choices.  The situation is likely to proceed to one of two directions: either the codebases and the features start to diverge dramatically, in which case they move away and any other product becomes sufficiently different that there need be no conflict, or there is some for of reconcilliation/amalgamation, in which case all have to work together, so the less aggravation that has arisen before that, the better.
> >
> > It is a generous thing to be able to agree to differ.
> >

> But what about when their preference is that you don't exist at all?
> For example, when a LO leader comes onto the Apache list and says that
> he would like us to fail and that he wants to "put us out of our
> misery", then do we treat that as a mere "difference of opinion"?  I'm
> happy to be generous when it is a matter of taste, Coke versus Pepsi
> or whatever.  But when someone is denying our right to exist and
> taking active steps to cause our votes to fail, etc., then I think
> that is something else.
>
> We're called on to be generous and professional.  We're not called on
> to be martyrs.

True - and you have made your point, IMO, a couple of times now -
regarding that piece of email. There are no martyrs here my friend.

//drew

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Ian Lynch <ia...@gmail.com>.
On 19 May 2012 01:39, imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw> wrote:

>  I figured it is nonsense, and not worthy of my time.
>  If I do have spare time I would rather help the local LibreOffice
> community than fight with nonsense from the troll.  So I ignored it.
> Period.

+1.

Just accept the fact that headlines that stir up emotion are the bread and
butter of journalism. It's going to happen time and time again.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by imacat <im...@mail.imacat.idv.tw>.
On 2012/05/10 01:01, Rob Weir said:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>> The important thing is to maintain a generosity towards others and not to be drawn into argument with them about the pros and cons of their/our choices.  The situation is likely to proceed to one of two directions: either the codebases and the features start to diverge dramatically, in which case they move away and any other product becomes sufficiently different that there need be no conflict, or there is some for of reconcilliation/amalgamation, in which case all have to work together, so the less aggravation that has arisen before that, the better.
>> It is a generous thing to be able to agree to differ.
>
> But what about when their preference is that you don't exist at all?
> For example, when a LO leader comes onto the Apache list and says that
> he would like us to fail and that he wants to "put us out of our
> misery", then do we treat that as a mere "difference of opinion"?  I'm
> happy to be generous when it is a matter of taste, Coke versus Pepsi
> or whatever.  But when someone is denying our right to exist and
> taking active steps to cause our votes to fail, etc., then I think
> that is something else.

    Well, reading through this thread, I found I got the same nonsense,
from a leader of a forked project.  For me it is always OK to fork, from
either OpenOffice.org or Apache OpenOffice.  I sincerely wish them to
grow strong, whether they are LibreOffice, OOo4Kids, BrOffice, or
anything else.  Together we enrich the whole ecosystem.  That's why I
(and many people here) help our local Taiwan LibreOffice community, too,
as much as I can.  I figured it is nonsense, and not worthy of my time.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 9 May 2012 13:01:19 -0400
Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > The important thing is to maintain a generosity towards others and not to be drawn into argument with them about the pros and cons of their/our choices.  The situation is likely to proceed to one of two directions: either the codebases and the features start to diverge dramatically, in which case they move away and any other product becomes sufficiently different that there need be no conflict, or there is some for of reconcilliation/amalgamation, in which case all have to work together, so the less aggravation that has arisen before that, the better.
> >
> > It is a generous thing to be able to agree to differ.
> >

> But what about when their preference is that you don't exist at all?
> For example, when a LO leader comes onto the Apache list and says that
> he would like us to fail and that he wants to "put us out of our
> misery", then do we treat that as a mere "difference of opinion"?  I'm
> happy to be generous when it is a matter of taste, Coke versus Pepsi
> or whatever.  But when someone is denying our right to exist and
> taking active steps to cause our votes to fail, etc., then I think
> that is something else.
>
> We're called on to be generous and professional.  We're not called on
> to be martyrs.
>
> -Rob

You simply reply "You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong!" and walk away.  If he is obstructive/agressive on list, he should be banned.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 8:30 AM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> On 18 May 2012 13:21, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> But 'Rob Weir Farts During Playing of LibreOffice National
>>> Anthem" will be headline news and will be retweeted 100 times.
>>>

>> You made me ROFL. Thanks for that. Have a good Friday.
>
> I too laughed at this.
>
> However, once I stopped laughing I read the
> article. I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems pretty well
> balanced to me. I'm happy to see it being retweeted a great deal. It

It tosses together sound bites of opposing views in order to give  a
heightened sense of conflict.  Add a provocative title and it is ready
to serve up to a hungry public.

A boxing match is "balanced" as well, but it is also based on conflict.

Personally I'd rather read a full-length opinion piece, thought out,
by a LO supporter than an article cobbled together from Slashdot
comments.  Other's opinions may vary.  There is certainly an eager
market for tabloid journalism, even in open source.  But where is the
open source version of The Economist?

-Rob

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com
> >wrote:

> > > You made me ROFL. Thanks for that. Have a good Friday.
> >
> > I too laughed at this.
> >
> > However, once I stopped laughing I read the
> > article. I'm not sure what the problem is. It seems pretty well
> > balanced to me. I'm happy to see it being retweeted a great deal. It
> > gives space to both the "LO" has won and the "AOO" will accelerate
> > innovation arguments. It's now the job of this project to do that
> > innovative work in collaboration with anyone who wants to play.
> >
> > Ross
> >

> I disagree -- I don't find it balanced at all! It's just one rant after
> another. Not an article really, a collection of (mostly) negative sound
> bites...and to what end? So many ridiculous statements, by folks with more
> emotion than any real business acumen. I could list a few of them and go
> into my own rant, but I'll pass....

> MzK
>
> "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
>                                 -- Mark Twain

Re Troll's Bane:
Don't you have to value their opinion before it can hurt your feelings?
--No, that is pretty cynical
Maybe this situation is a little like having a teenager rebelling against
their family.  Open Office has the far better market penetration and
name-recognition.  All we have to do is be calm produce announcements about
hitting the 1,000,000-mark in downloads to roll over the mean-spirited
people who want to rant against AOO. When my teenagers were rebelling, they
told me all the time what an awful mean, stupid person I was.  I maintained
my temper (most of the time) and after a while they stopped rebelling.
Most of the people who use LO or AOO are oblivious to any contention and
really don't have a negative opinion about any other open-source office
suite.

-Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> But 'Rob Weir Farts During Playing of LibreOffice National
> Anthem" will be headline news and will be retweeted 100 times.

You made me ROFL. Thanks for that. Have a good Friday.

FC
act
- George Orwell

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:38 AM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> But what about when their preference is that you don't exist at all?
>> For example, when a LO leader comes onto the Apache list and says that
>> he would like us to fail and that he wants to "put us out of our
>> misery", then do we treat that as a mere "difference of opinion"?
>>

> Speaking of which, this is interesting. I wonder who's behind so many RTs
> of that ugly article.
>
> https://twitter.com/#!/search/a%20tale%20of%20two%20suites

Conflict sells news stories. "OpenOffice and LibreOffice volunteers
work together on Community Support Forums" will never make a new
story.  But 'Rob Weir Farts During Playing of LibreOffice National

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Troll warning

Re: Troll warning

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 11:18 -0400, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On May 9, 2012, at 11:03 AM, drew wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:49 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> There are a small number of active, vocal and
> >> negative people at LibreOffice who like to beat up on OpenOffice and
> >> the work we do here.
> >
> > That cuts both ways.
>
> That's true... In general though, I've found that if people
> mention OpenOffice, that many LO-related people will immediately
> jump in and turn the conversation towards LO (for example,
> someone will post or tweet something about OpenOffice and
> they will immediately reply "Hey, what about LibreOffice"),
> but I don't see nearly that amount of the reverse behavior.
>
> I guess partly that's to be expected...

Hi Jim

IMO 'back biting', is what I would call this, is easily the most
destructive behavior that a person can partake in, eroding civility
amongst voluntary associations, if not kept in check.

It really is something that we all need to watch out for, directly.

I will try to refrain myself, the only person I can actually control ;)
and I think most of the folks I talk with on a regular basis on this
list and across the different projects (L&O) lists do also - there are
lots of 'extended associates', users, that will always do some of what
you describe, it will likely even increase from them here over the short
run, my guess anyway, but I think the core folks will not.

On the other hand, there are two successful groups of people here, L and
O, and there lots of Alpha's required to form successful groups on the
scale of these groups...

//drew

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 10:49 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> >> If you forward me links I'll make sure the TDF Membership Committee takes a look.
> >
> > What are LO advocates doing on this list?. Just curious....
> >
> > http://webmink.com/2012/02/19/libreoffice-video/
> >
> > Where it says "OpenOffice's succesor, LibreOffice...."
> >
> > Let me get this straight, the forkers destroyed StarOffice, spit
> > Oracle in the face then invited them for dinner (to join TDF), then
> > they get upset that Oracle does not comply with their demands, they
> > nevertheless go ahead with their fork, and when OpenOffice is donated
> > to Apache and continues having the brand recognition, the mind share
> > and the majority of downloads on the Windows platform, are we supposed
> > to  play nice and friendly with people who can't promote their fork
> > without comparing themselves to Apache OO and some even spread lies
> > all the time?
> >

> Well, yes.  We're supposed to be nice, even when others are spreading
> FUD and trying to derail the project.
>
> Of course, none of our saints, and even fewer of us are martyrs, so
> individually there is only so much abuse anyone of us is going to put
> up with.  But as a project we must remain open and welcoming to all,
> especially to LibreOffice volunteers.
>
> That doesn't mean we need to agree with the FUD, or let misstatements
> go unaddressed.  It just means we need to handle it in a calm,
> professional, non-argumentative way.  For example, we can collect the
> top-10 erroneous statements about AOO on the wiki and prepare a blog
> post to respond to them.
>
> And this is not just about being "nice".  This is also the most
> pragmatic thing to do.   There are a small number of active, vocal and
> negative people at LibreOffice who like to beat up on OpenOffice and
> the work we do here.

That cuts both ways.

<snip>

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On May 9, 2012 3:25 AM, "Fernando Cassia" <fc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is what Apache has to deal with...

... and we've consistently found the best thing to do is to follow
Gandalf's lead.

Gandalf (from Tolkien's The Hobbit) lets the trolls fight amongst
themselves until the sun rises and turns them to stone. He does not argue
with them, he does not try to prove them wrong, he does not fight them. He
simply prompts them to argue amongst themselves.

This is a masterclass on how to deal with trolls.

We get on with writing code and putting it out there. The trolls will
continue to argue until the sun rises. AOO and LO will still be here and,
without the trolls, will be free to collaborate.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.

Re: Troll warning

Posted by Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>.
On 8 May 2012, at 21:18,  wrote:

> Just another warning to not feed the trolls. Now that AOOo 3.4
> has been announced, we are starting to see some really untoward
> behavior by some of the more vocal LO people.
>
> Just let them go... the world will see that it's those people
> who are fighting against cooperation between LO and AOOo and,
> hopefully, wiser and saner minds will prevail.

Do you have specifics, Jim? I've not seen any, just messages of congratulations[1]. If you forward me links I'll make sure the TDF Membership Committee takes a look.

I'm sure you're already aware, but there's is a problem in the other direction[2] that I'm sure you'll want to act on.

Cheers,

S.

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/101728170107556489506/posts/Er1bhNvC1jB and ripples
[2] http://erack.org/blog/archives/19-Filhos-Infographic-of-Debian-with-license-exception-does-not-allow-use-of-TDF-or-LibreOffice.html