Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/28 17:49:05 UTC

Lucene as projects in Eclipse

Is there any guidance on how to set up Lucene for development within
Eclipse.
Perhaps a wiki page or an old email thread? I looked but didn't find one.
I've done it manually twice now and it was time-consuming and ultimately
I did it differently each time, not liking any way I have done it.

Or does anyone have project files that they can share?

-- DM

RE: Lucene as projects in Eclipse

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Yes they are dead. I have an updated file here that also correctly formats
generics (without whitespace between parameters) according to the discussion
on Java-Dev. I can provide it, if needed. But it was created by hand
completely, but looks correct.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Here is mine with fixed generics, but may be different from the one on Solr
page (I created it myself some time ago). But It looks correct and was
inherited from the Java Default Style.

-----

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure myself, as I don't use IntelliJ - I would assume its pretty
close, but thats just a guess.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
DM,

I create one project (new project, checkout projects from SVN, and let it
set it as a java project).
I then set the source folders like you mentioned below.
I add lib/junit*whatever.jar to library classpath, and set UTF-8 default
encoding for the project.
and set the formatter to the lucene style xml file here:
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute

for the ones you have mentioned, you shouldnt have dependencies between
contribs, you dont need any more source folders.

Here is my pattern, I want to have projects for
> lucene-core
> lucene-core-tests
> lucene-core-demos
> lucene-analyzers-common
> lucene-analyzers-common-test
> lucene-analyzers-smartcn
> lucene-analyzers-smartcn-test
> That is one for each separate jar and one that separates test from code.
> And I want to use an external checkout of all of lucene. So I can update
> from the root, run ant, create fully pathed patches, ....
>
> Doing this is a real pain, taking over 4 hours, including some "don't do
> that" learning.
>
> The dependencies between contribs is not documented well, so that took some
> time to figure out.
>
> Maybe, I'm just stuck on a favorite pattern that I've used for years and
> there's a better way... I'd like to know how it can take "10 seconds or so".
>

> -- DM

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: Lucene as projects in Eclipse

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
Also DM, if you do it this way as one project with subclipse, you have the
entire lucene checkout from svn in your eclipse workspace folder.

so you can do things like run ant, svn commands, edit things with vi,
whatever, and then use 'refresh' in eclipse so it sees the changes.

i like eclipse but don't prefer it for all tasks, so it seems to work pretty
well... might not be so easy if you try to make separate projects.

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.
On 10/28/2009 01:57 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
> Hmm ... well perhaps it takes more work if you want them each as a
> separate project? I just make it one project.
>
> I check out trunk with subclipse, using new Java project. The I go to
> the project properties and add java/test for core as source dirs (after
> removing the default one eclipse picks) - then I add the source folders
> for the contribs I'm interested in. That all takes about 10 seconds
> itself, so I was exaggerating a bit (not counting checkout time).

Thanks Mark and Robert. This works well. And it was quick!

Less than 10 minutes to configure core, demo, contrib and all their
tests. The only trick was to run ant on the bdb contribs to get it to
download the missing bdb jar files and to find ant.jar on my system to
add it to the ant contrib.

To add source dirs, I multi-select them (ctrl-click) and then right
click > Build Path > Use As Source Folder.

> Then I go the project libs tab and click add library - I select Junit
> and click okay (choosing Junit 3).
Why not JUnit 4? It seems to work just fine in a Java 5 environment. All
tests ran to completion and passed.

>   Another couple seconds. At this
> point, I can run tests, f3 through source code, ctrh-alt h for call
> hierarchy, generate patches with whatever path level I want, etc. The
> full kit and caboodle. I've done this approx 10,000 times. If I want to
> work with a contrib with lib dependencies, again in project properties
> under libs, I add the jars (usually in the lib folder in that contrib).
> Takes a couple seconds.

Another way to add jars is to multi-select them  and then right-click >
Build Path > Add to Build Path.

> I have the full power of Eclipse with this, so I'm not sure what your
> looking for with the extra work ...

I'm not looking for anything in particular though it does make the
dependencies between contribs obvious.
It was more a pattern from habit on another project.

-- DM

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Also, on a side note, I really like using the hierarchical package
presentation as opposed to flat ;)

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by DM Smith <dm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.