Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2006/11/06 21:48:53 UTC

wikis

There seem to be (at least) 2 wiki systems in use at Apache.

One is based on moin-moin (python), and is for instance, found at
wiki.apache.org/incubator-yoko

Another one is based on confluence's wiki, and is found for instance, at
cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/

The cwiki may have additional capabilities.  For instance, some groups
are using it to do collaborative authoring of documents.  For this, a
permissions / login restriction is needed to insure contributors have
done ICLAs.

See: http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CWIKI/Index

The cwiki's wiki's are autoexported to plain html, whenever edits occur,
so that high-volume serving can be done. This export facility can be
used for a projects "web-site" as well; some projects are using it that
way.  It appears that the Geranimo project started down that path but is
not currently using a wiki for their web-site maintenance (they're using
XDOC / Anakia).

One other thing I've noticed is that with the confluence wiki it's
possible to have comments on each page, and (optionally) show them. This
might be interesting for building up community.  It might also be
available with the moin-moin version.

We're working on setting up the UIMA project, and I'd be interested in
hearing opinions from the community about the pros/cons of the different
approaches (perhaps there even are others in use at Apache?).

-Marshall

Re: wikis

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On 11/6/06, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> We're working on setting up the UIMA project, and I'd be interested in
> hearing opinions from the community about the pros/cons of the different
> approaches (perhaps there even are others in use at Apache?).

Thanks for the post Marshall. I've added another FAQ, based on your
post, and also included more information as to how Confluence is
backed up and who is administrating it now.

* http://cwiki.apache.org/CWIKI/

-Ted.

Re: wikis

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
I think it comes down to what a wiki means to your community. The
classic sense is as a very random user-inclusive system for bits of
info. The other is as a much more structured system, possibly for
document management.

Your description below should go on the Incubator site or wiki - very
good summary.

Hen

Re: wikis

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
Mike Kienenberger wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
>> There seem to be (at least) 2 wiki systems in use at Apache.
>>
>> One is based on moin-moin (python), and is for instance, found at
>> wiki.apache.org/incubator-yoko
>>
>> Another one is based on confluence's wiki, and is found for instance, at
>> cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/
>
> My understanding from following the infrastructure and
> general-incubator mailing lists over the last year is that moin-moin
> is the only approved wiki system.   The only approved use for
> confluence is to write and generate documentation, and that it is not
> open for public access.   There have been technical arguments against
> using Confluence as a general wiki, but since those messages were
> posted to the non-public infrastructure mailing list, you'll have to
> re-ask your question there to find them out.

The principal arguments against Confluence were to do with handling
load. However, the autoexport plugin has worked around this, so there is
no general objection to using Confluence as a wiki, although there is a
general awareness that it can be used either as a document editing
system, or as a public wiki.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: wikis

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.