Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by "Balunas, Jay" <ba...@netscout.com> on 2006/01/13 20:01:09 UTC

JSF 1.2 support/plans

Hello all,

I have been lurking for some time, and have been investigating JSF for a new project at my company.  Please forgive me is this has come up already - I did search through several pages of archives and could not find a reference to 1.2 support roadmaps

Because this will be a new project starting in about a month, and first release around end of summer (August -September) I have been investigating both the current 1.1.1 version of myFaces, and looking into what 1.2 JSF provides.  We are planning on using Ajax and from what research I have done JSF 1.2 has some hooks for making Ajax requests less of a hack into the life cycle.

We are also investigating Suns implementation, but I would prefer to stick with myFaces as the support and community seems stronger.

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes, of course.

We've done so already ;)

regards,

Martin

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
> Why would Sun need to relicense the JSF 1.2 RI?  It's already under an
> open source license (CDDL).
>
> It's up to Apache to decide whether or not to accept a dependency on
> CDDL-licensed code, as it does for (say) BSD licensed code.
>
> Craig

Allows the CDDL a distribution over a maven repository?

Regards

Bernd

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.
Craig McClanahan schrieb:

> Why would Sun need to relicense the JSF 1.2 RI?  It's already under an
> open source license (CDDL).

I agree, it is not Suns responsibility, nevertheless it would be a nice
move.
But the Apache board really has to come to a conclusion in this matter.
The current situation of having a yes no limbo is not really that good
for anyone.

> It's up to Apache to decide whether or not to accept a dependency on
> CDDL-licensed code, as it does for (say) BSD licensed code.

Well, BSD is a different issue as CDDL as far as I know the licenses ;-)
CDDL sort of is a Mozilla like license while Apache is a derivation of BSD.
CDDL is less liberal than both Apache2 and BSD to my knowledge but only
slightly.

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 1/14/06, Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes,
>
> we all know the improvements JSF 1.2 has to offer, and all committers
> want to have a JSF 1.2 compliant version out as soon as possible.
>
> If you can help us make it possible to rely on Sun's CDDL licensed
> code, we'll have a chance to actually work on it.

Glad to hear it!  But, please understand that at Apache I have just one
voice among many.  If the MyFaces community considers this to be an
important issue, then you need to ask your PMC to raise the urgency of
dealing with this with the Apache Board, and (in particular) the VP of Legal
Affairs, Cliff Schmidt (to avoid spam attacks, I'll leave it to you to
figure out what his Apache email address is :-).  Many voices have more
influence than one voice.

regards,

> Martin

Craig

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Ah - I was last searching for this in December, and then Jacob hadn't
fulfilled his plan to donate the el.

Cool thing!

regards,

Martin

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
> [...]

environments,
  then none of the above matters.  ((In my personal opinion, that would be a
poor choice,
  but it is not my choice to make.))

If I were a MyFaces committer (and I'd certainly enjoy being one, but my
personal interest is more in the components than in the JSF implementation),
I would seriously think about the strategic issues around the
when-and-if-supporting-JSF-1.2 question.  I would also view a decision to
defer paying attention to JSF 1.2 with sadness ... as someone interested in
dealing with many of the issues that JSF 1.0/1.1 + JSP brings to the table,
I would sure like there to be more people (rather than less) that take
advantage of the JSF 1.2 improvements in this area -- and they are
*substantial*.  To say nothing of everything else that is improved in 1.2...

Craig

Re: JSF 1.2 support/plans

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.