Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Ma...@t-systems.com on 2008/12/19 14:22:08 UTC

ADB implementation

Hi,

I got a question concerning the implementation of ADB and I thought I'd
be on the better place in the developer list.

I cannot really understand the way ADB was implemented, I think my
proposal is better and I wonder why no one else thought about it.
Probably I am missing some points and I would be glad if you could
correct me.

ADB is implemented with the use of AXIOM. AXIOM is a xml framework which
only reads the content if it is needed, which I think is really good for
performance. When I now trace the way of a service generated with ADB
databinding, I see that Axis2 is first generating OMElements which are
then converted to the ADBBeans. Later, on the way back it will be the
other way round, from ADBBeans to OMElements.

What are the particular reasons that you didn't just extend an OMElement
to become an ADBBean. You could just create some setters and getters for
the properties to set and could stick with the internal
OM-implementation. That way the step of (de)-serializing would fall
away.

What am I missing out here?

Thank you for any clarification!

Matthias.

Re: ADB implementation

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 6:52 PM, <Ma...@t-systems.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> I got a question concerning the implementation of ADB and I thought I'd be
> on the better place in the developer list.
>

> I cannot really understand the way ADB was implemented, I think my proposal
> is better and I wonder why no one else thought about it. Probably I am
> missing some points and I would be glad if you could correct me.
>

> ADB is implemented with the use of AXIOM. AXIOM is a xml framework which
> only reads the content if it is needed, which I think is really good for
> performance. When I now trace the way of a service generated with ADB
> databinding, I see that Axis2 is first generating OMElements which are then
> converted to the ADBBeans. Later, on the way back it will be the other way
> round, from ADBBeans to OMElements.

Please read this article[1]. See the parse and  serialize methods of the
generated code. It directly reads from the xmlStream reader and writes to
xmlStream writter.

> What are the particular reasons that you didn't just extend an OMElement to
> become an ADBBean. You could just create some setters and getters for the
> properties to set and could stick with the internal OM-implementation. That
> way the step of (de)-serializing would fall away.

ADB is a databinding framework and AXIOM is an xml info set representation.
In Axis2 databinding happens after the message receiver and it builds the
Xml info set at the transport level.

As I understood, what you have suggested is to build an general OM Element
model at the transport level and build a another OM Element model (which
extends ADBBeans) at the message receiver. IMHO this is not perform better
than creating ADBBean objects directly from the XmlStreamReader.

thanks,
Amila.

[1] http://wso2.org/library/2068

--