Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com> on 2016/05/27 18:07:05 UTC

Podling name search - early or late?

We were getting ready to start the PNS for Airflow when I came across
this comment from Shane in regards to Kudu:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-93
"This looks like a pretty good set of search data, but we usually
don't work on resolving PODLINGNAMESEARCHES until a podling is clearly
established, has a release, community is building, etc."

This is surprising to me and different than the last time I was
involved in an incubating project.  Is this correct?

It seems more useful to determine if a name can be used early in the
incubation, before releases, talks, thousands of lines code, package
names, emotional attachments, etc.  In the event that a podling fails,
nothing is lost by okaying the name early, assuming we don't attempt
to trademark (which we haven't been for non-TLPs, I believe).

Any thoughts?  Any reason not to start doing the PNS for Airflow now?

Thanks,
Jakob

Re: Podling name search - early or late?

Posted by Liang Chen <ch...@huawei.com>.
+1 for confirming the name early for podling project

Liang