Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/02 22:18:14 UTC

[Discuss-proposal]Admin mail box for NLs forum

New forum users with registration problems do not have an easy way to
communicate their problems to the board. In the past there was an email
address that sent an automated message to a particular forum thread on the
private forum area. This system is not working since the move to Apache.
Until the automated reply is re-activated, a simple mail box for each NL
forum, accessible to forum admins and moderators will be more than enough,
something like forum-admin-<locale>@aoo.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Ricardo

Re: [Discuss-proposal]Admin mail box for NLs forum

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 6 October 2013 17:42, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:09 AM, janI <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> email
> on
> >> Apache.
> each
> >> NL

> admins
> >> >

> >> Thanks, Ian,
> >>
> > np (its Jan)
> >

> >> But even if simple, we need first an email address for each forum so
> users
> >> can send a message. If there is an automated response then better, but
> >> right now there is no way for a new user to "call for help".
> >>

> > I can understand that, and agree its a good idea. I simply wanted to make
> > you aware that you might need a appl. admin to change the configuration.
> > The admin situation is up for discussion (headed by another pmc member),
> > and have been discussed quite a lot, but no decision has been made. The
> way
> > I worked and suggested to work in future seems to be too restrictive for
> > some people, as a consequence the applications on our servers are
> currently
> > not being maintained, apart for security.
> >
> > As we both know, there is work in progress to start a admin ML, which
> would
> > fit this purpose very well (headed by another pmc member), however after
> > the initial discussion, is seems nothing happens (at least no jira has
> been
> > created). I would not recommend a ML for each forum, the overhead
> > (moderators etc) are too big, instead have the mailer put the forum name
> in
> > the header.
> >

> So is there a reason why the admin mailing list could not be used for
> this?   I assume the traffic level would be low enough that it would
> not be necessary to have N mailing lists for N forums.  So using a
> single ML point of contact for admin questions could make sense here.
>
> The other alternative is an email alias.  So no mailing list but just
> forwarding of emails to a group.

email alias has the advantage that we can later make them MLs if needed.

> > Sadly enough we have many good initatives like it, that are thoroughly
> > discussed and then left to a slow death when it comes to the actual work.
> >

> Sorry about that.  We had that little thing called a release that
> distracted me for a little while.

No need to be sorry you can of course spent your time as you want I will
not and cannot influence that.

I wrote "initatives" in plural on purpose, I was not targeting you or
anybody else in particular, but merely noting the general trend.

We discuss a lot, which on one hand is good, but on the other hand
sometimes restrict work from being done, and I simply find the output of
the discussion are very limited, but thats my personal observation.

rgds
jan I.

Posted by Ricardo Berlasso <rg...@gmail.com>.
(Top posting)

For the time being, on ES forums we implemented our own email address on a
.org server kindly provided by Mauricio Baeza, the other forum admin. From
now, every email communication from and to the ES forums goes through that
email address. People writing to that address will receive an automatic
email with general information about how to register and log-in. Admins
have access to that email address through a web interface so any user with
registration problems have now the possibility to communicate with the
board.

Maybe this is not the best solution, but at least it is a working solution.

Regards,
Ricardo

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.