Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Anton van Straaten <an...@appsolutions.com> on 2005/09/01 20:19:00 UTC

Re: *nix distro compatibility (was Re: survey)

Carl Johnstone wrote:
>>I think a great first-place to start for advocacy is to work with the
>>various linux/bsd/*nix distributions out there to make sure that they
>>have a modern, compatible version of mod_perl 2.  As a user, I don't
>>want to maintain my own perl/mod_perl build tree - I want my distro to
>>do the right thing.  Perhaps a first-step in the advocacy movement is
>>to maintain a "distro compatibility list" for mod_perl 2 on
>>perl.apache.org, so that it's not such a black-art in determining
>>whether mod_perl/Apache::* packages are up-to-date or whether there are
>>timebombs waiting to ambush new users.
>

> Sounds like a good idea, and if we point people in the right direction to
> get updated versions/backports for their distro that might help with the
> rest.

Speaking of which, can anyone point me to a place where I can get a
prebuilt mod_perl later than 1.99_12 for Fedora Core 1?

Version 1.99_14 apparently existed at one time at
http://buscaluz.org/rpms/ -- which is linked to from
http://perl.apache.org/download/binaries.html -- but the link is now dead.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  I'm reluctantly dealing with
a hosted FC1 server, and building mod_perl from source looks like more
trouble than it's worth.

Anton

Re: *nix distro compatibility (was Re: survey)

Posted by Malcolm J Harwood <mj...@liminalflux.net>.
On Thursday 01 September 2005 04:26 pm, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> If people want to start emailing in what has what, I'll at least maintain
> the list until we figure out how best to use it and where to put it.

Mandrake/Mandriva 2005LE (the last release) has perl 5.8.6, httpd 2.0.54,
mod_perl 1.99_16.

The next release (due on the 15th) has perl 5.8.7, httpd 2.0.54, mod_perl
2.0.1. I'm not sure what the status of any backport is.

- Sheridan to Garibaldi in Babylon 5:"The Geometry of Shadows"

Re: *nix distro compatibility (was Re: survey)

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.
Anton van Straaten wrote:
> Carl Johnstone wrote:
>
>>> I think a great first-place to start for advocacy is to work with the
>>> various linux/bsd/*nix distributions out there to make sure that they
>>> have a modern, compatible version of mod_perl 2.  As a user, I don't
>>> want to maintain my own perl/mod_perl build tree - I want my distro to
>>> do the right thing.  Perhaps a first-step in the advocacy movement is
>>> to maintain a "distro compatibility list" for mod_perl 2 on
>>> perl.apache.org, so that it's not such a black-art in determining
>>> whether mod_perl/Apache::* packages are up-to-date or whether there are
>>> timebombs waiting to ambush new users.
>>
>> Sounds like a good idea, and if we point people in the right direction to
>> get updated versions/backports for their distro that might help with the
>> rest.
>
> Speaking of which, can anyone point me to a place where I can get a
> prebuilt mod_perl later than 1.99_12 for Fedora Core 1?

Fresh from the oven, built:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/SRPMS/mod_perl-2.0.1-1.fc4.src.rpm

On an up-to-date FC1 box:

http://people.apache.org/~gozer/mp2/rpms/fc1/

Re: *nix distro compatibility (was Re: survey)

Posted by Stef1 <St...@pandava.com>.
Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> Anton van Straaten wrote:

>>> Sounds like a good idea, and if we point people in the right
>>> direction to
>>> get updated versions/backports for their distro that might help with
>>> the
>>> rest.
>>
> If people want to start emailing in what has what, I'll at least
> maintain the list until we figure out how best to use it and where to
> put it.
>
> I can state FreeBSD as being at perl5.8.7/httpd2.0.54/mod_perl2.0.1
> via ports and packages.

Fedora 4 (fully updated) has perl-5.8.6/httpd2.0.54/mod_perl2.0.1 (it
was originally 2.0.0rc5)
RHEL4 has perl5.8.5/httpd2.0.52/mod_perl1.99.16
    but a "rpmbuild --rebuild mod_perl-2.0.1-1.fc4.src.rpm" did the trick

regards,
Stefan Loones

Re: *nix distro compatibility (was Re: survey)

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

--
END
                 Nothing is impossible.