Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Richard Zhang <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/06/27 01:01:41 UTC

Anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information?

Hi Guys:
I am running map reduce job on the 20 nodes cluster. I have the architecture
of the cluster such as how the racks are organized. How to input these
information into hadoop?
I suppose these information should be useful for hadoop. But, when searching
the code, I did not find any class/methods are using such information.
Does anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information
into hadoop and how hadoop uses this?
Thanks.
Richard

Re: Anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Richard Zhang wrote:
> Hi Guys:
> I am running map reduce job on the 20 nodes cluster. I have the architecture
> of the cluster such as how the racks are organized. How to input these
> information into hadoop?
> I suppose these information should be useful for hadoop. But, when searching
> the code, I did not find any class/methods are using such information.
> Does anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information
> into hadoop and how hadoop uses this?
> Thanks.
> Richard

There;s something you can configure in the site.xml, that names a shell
script that returns the name of the rack a node lives in; I forget the
details, but it should be documented in the configuration docs. There is
some stuff being developed that works out the rack from the IPv4
address; if you can determine rack by some kind of mask on the address
then  that would meet your needs -once its checked in

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: Anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information?

Posted by Shihua Ma <be...@gmail.com>.
Richard Zhang wrote:

Richard Zhang-2 wrote:

> Hi Guys:
> I am running map reduce job on the 20 nodes cluster. I have the
> architecture
> of the cluster such as how the racks are organized. How to input these
> information into hadoop?
> I suppose these information should be useful for hadoop. But, when
> searching
> the code, I did not find any class/methods are using such information.
> Does anyone knows how to input the cluster racks architecture information
> into hadoop and how hadoop uses this?
> Thanks.
> Richard

The document of
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12345251/Rack_aware_HDFS_proposal.pdf
rack awareness  can answer your question that how to input the cluster racks
architecture information into hadoop.You can specifies a script through
configuration of "dfs.network.script" that print the network location path
of the current machine.

Josh ma :  http://www.hadoop.org.cn http://www.hadoop.org.cn