Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org> on 2002/06/06 14:53:16 UTC

Re: XMLForms vs. W3C XForms in Cocoon

Michael,

First of all, XMLForm is a contribution by many authors on the Cocoon dev
list.

To address your question, XMLForm is an attempt to conform a subset of
XForms that is suitable for server side implementation. XMLForm does not
implement client side features like actions and events.
The dev team found that a lightweight server side implementation, which does
not impose any special requirements on the client is  consistent with
Cocoons overall philosophy. XMLForm documents should be useful for very thin
clients (Cell, PDA) as well as current PC browsers and future clients
implementing XForms.
XMLForm will seek further compliance with XForms as long as the
forementioned constraints are satisfied.

There are other products which provide complete XForms compliance and are
suitable for modern PC browsers.
If you're interested in them, consult the W3C XForms implementaions list.

You can also search on the Cocoon dev list as this topic has been
extensively discussed in the past.

Hope this helps.

Ivelin