Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Dennis Byrne <de...@dbyrne.net> on 2005/07/16 03:34:05 UTC

outputLabel value att. vs body content

No responses yet for http://www.mail-archive.com/users%
40myfaces.apache.org/msg05876.html .  Can I get a sanity
check please?

We've spent a lot of $ toward mapping 'business terms'
to 'technical items' (like > 400 db columns).  More work has
been put into a custom tag lib that pulls these data to the
UI at run time.  Because the 'value' attribute of the
x:outputLabel tag does not accept runtime expression values,
these custom tags must be placed w/in the body.

Unfortunately, HtmlMessageRenderer cannot predict the future
in the event of a conversion error.  For example, how do I
get the x:message tag to spit out "'business term' is
required"?  Is it even possible to get x:message output to
contain the value of a label if it is the result of JSP-EL or
a custom tag?  The x:message output is set in stone long
before these values are determined and it appears the only
way to pull this off is to replace my existing custom tag
library to JSF enabled tags.
Dennis Byrne

Re: outputLabel value att. vs body content

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.
The link to your old mail doesn't seem to work.

Message handling is one of the things that will be working a lot
better in JSF1.2.
.
If you use the x:messages tags of MyFaces though, the framework will
substitute the id of the component shown in the messages with the
label or the column header of the component - these can of course also
come from an EL based expression.

regards,

Martin