Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Sergio Jose Marques Den Boer <se...@telecom.pt> on 2015/10/27 15:34:31 UTC

Elastic Search as storage

Hello.
I've been working with RDF data for some time and it seems a logic step in a business context.
I've been recently asked if elastic search could be used as an efficient RDF data store. Due to Jena's extensibility capacities I thought about this project immediately, but still it seems that it cannot be treated as an efficient solution yet.
I'm writing to you for advice in determining if this is a possible solution. I've seen that there is at least one plugin available to use. Are there any reports of successful implementation?
Best regards
Sérgio den Boer

Re: Elastic Search as storage

Posted by "John A. Fereira" <ja...@cornell.edu>.
This might not be exactly what you have in mind, but …

The VIVO project (www.vivoweb.org) is a semantic web application that uses Jena for the RDF triple store (using SDB or TDB) and backs the triple store with a Solr index for searching.  It contains some utility (java) classes which indexes properties containing text into the the Solr index. A search produces results that contain a URI in the triple store which can be used to retrieve the full resources.

There is related project called VIVO Searchlight that indexes a VIVO triple store using Elastic Search and includes a browser “bookmarklet” which uses node.js and searches against elastic search.  Basically, one can load user  profile information into a VIVO instance, and the VIVO Searchlight bookmarklet will do a text extraction from any web page in the browser, then use the most common terms in the text as search terms against the elastic search/vivo store, and it will display a user profile at the top of the browser.

For example,  I can search the web for pages related to pancreatic cancer.  Then, from any of the web pages in the search results I can click on the VIVO Searchlight bookmark and it will show me researcher profiles (which then links me to their publications, affiliation, co-authors, etc) at the top of the browser window.  If I highlight text on any web page it will execute the search using only the highlighted string.