Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/13 21:14:28 UTC

Trimming the MicroProfile distribution

Our MicroProfile distribution is actually 1.3M larger than our Web Profile distribution.

Since we've added MicroProfile capabilities to all distributions, should we take the opportunity to trim the MicroProfile distribution down?

Off the top of my head, I don't think we need:

 - anything front-end such as JSF, JSP, EL, Taglibs
 - any related dependencies such as ECJ
 - the stock webapps/ such as manager that use JSP, etc.

I did a quick analysis of deleting those things by hand and tarring things back up and dist size went from 44M to 36M.

If we go beyond and cut out OpenJPA, Xalan, Woodstox and HSQLDB with the thinking many people use Hibernate and I suspect we can find a way to not need Xalan and Woodstox, then we get down to 27M in tar.gz form.

Thoughts on potentially taking advantage of the MicroProfile dist to experiment with some heavy trimming?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

Re: Trimming the MicroProfile distribution

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
> On Sep 13, 2019, at 2:14 PM, David Blevins <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Our MicroProfile distribution is actually 1.3M larger than our Web Profile distribution.
>
> Since we've added MicroProfile capabilities to all distributions, should we take the opportunity to trim the MicroProfile distribution down?
>
> Off the top of my head, I don't think we need:
>
> - anything front-end such as JSF, JSP, EL, Taglibs
> - any related dependencies such as ECJ
> - the stock webapps/ such as manager that use JSP, etc.
>
> I did a quick analysis of deleting those things by hand and tarring things back up and dist size went from 44M to 36M.
>
> If we go beyond and cut out OpenJPA, Xalan, Woodstox and HSQLDB with the thinking many people use Hibernate and I suspect we can find a way to not need Xalan and Woodstox, then we get down to 27M in tar.gz form.

Here are the diffs associated with the two trimmings above:

 - https://gist.github.com/dblevins/049815520c23ced4b7a1f6ef4deb67ef

-David