Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Lucas Heimberg <lu...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/09 14:50:59 UTC

Fwd: Avro and Kafka Schema Registry Client versions out of date

Hello,

I noticed that even in Flink 1.11. Avro in flink-avro and the Kafka Schema
Registry client in flink-avro-confluent-registry are still at version 1.8.2
and 4.1.0, respectively.

Avro 1.9.2 brings a lot of improvements and bugfixes, in particular in
respect to logical types.
The Kafka Schema Registry Client 5.5.0 finally supports schema references,
i.e., schemas that are composed from different subjects of the Schema
Registry, which is a very useful feature for the reuse of schemas.

I would like to ask if there are plans to bump both version numbers in the
near future, or whether there are specific obstacles for that?

Thank you very much & kind regards,
Lucas

--
Dr. Lucas Heimberg

Re: Avro and Kafka Schema Registry Client versions out of date

Posted by Arvid Heise <ar...@ververica.com>.
Hi Lucas,

1.9.2 [1] support depends on Hive upgrading as well [2] . You could cast a
vote on both tickets to accelerate it.

Schema registry 5.5.0 depends on Avro 1.9.2 and I'm not sure what the
implications of a downgrade are.

Of course, you could build the module yourself with 5.5.0, test, and report
back. [3]

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-21737
[3]
https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/master/flink-formats/flink-avro-confluent-registry/pom.xml#L33

--

Arvid Heise | Senior Java Developer

<https://www.ververica.com/>

Follow us @VervericaData

Conference

Ververica GmbH
Managing Directors: Timothy Alexander Steinert, Yip Park Tung Jason, Ji
(Toni) Cheng

Fwd: Avro and Kafka Schema Registry Client versions out of date