Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Kuster, Egon" <Eg...@dsto.defence.gov.au> on 2001/03/23 01:01:58 UTC

Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bea rs... oh my

Is anyone able to tell me how struts, velocity, turbine, and jetspeed all
fit together as they all seem to be doing very similar things. Why should I
use one over the other etc...

Shouldn't these different projects work a little closer together to create a
more coherent single package which incorporates the best of each?

Egon Kuster
Defence Science & Technology Organisation
Information Technology Division
Information Exploitation Group
Phone: +61 8 8259 5175
Fax: +61 8 8259 5619
Mobile: +61 401 676 479

Re: Struts, velocity, turbine, jetspeed, lions, tigers and bears... oh my

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
"Kuster, Egon" wrote:
> Is anyone able to tell me how struts, velocity, turbine, and jetspeed all
> fit together as they all seem to be doing very similar things. Why should I
> use one over the other etc...

Struts and Turbine/Velocity are really serving different audiences. For
some comparisons see

< http://www.mail-archive.com/general@jakarta.apache.org/msg00495.html >

<
http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg03206.html

< http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/ymtd/ymtd.html  >

> Shouldn't these different projects work a little closer together to create a
> more coherent single package which incorporates the best of each?

Many of the products work closely together. Jetspeed is actually a good
example of several Apache products being used together.

In my current project, I'm using several Jakarta technologies together,
including components from Struts, Taglibs, RegExp, and Tomcat.

But the real answer is that since this is a volunteer organization, we
can't simply mandate that all the products fit together like they were
cut from the same jigsaw. The volunteers who write the code make the
decisions, based on their own experience, and feedback from other
developers and users.

-- Tel 716 737-3463.
-- http://www.husted.com/about/struts/